Mirrors, Mirrors, Mirrors... Mid 1950's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirrors, Mirrors, Mirrors... Mid 1950's

What are the best options for a '56 Hawk? I've read that the SI reproductions are so-so and that some of the eBay options may be as good or ever better.

So what say you???

Not being as interested in authenticity as functionality, I got a set of these...I prefer them over plastic and/or round mirrors.
    1969-1972 Chevelle and El Camino. 1970-1972 Monte Carlo. 1968-1969 Camaro. This mirror fits the following vehicles You will not be disappointed with the appearance of this mirror; a quality way to add shine and life back to the exterior of your classic Chevy Car.

Comment

Lot of choices in 55 57 Chevy type from $20 and up. Most cars back in the day did not have factory mirrors. Western Auto Sears Wards and local parts stores sold mirrors. Guys back then did not worry about OEM parts. Better to have helper when installing Passenger side to get correct location to be able to see from drivers seat. Check Summit Racing they sell them

Comment

I am OK with other than, "correct" Stude mirrors, but at least go with era correct mirrors, i.e. round lenses for 50s-60s Studes. Actually, the re-pop mirrors for 1956 Studes hold up very well. However, I cannot say the same for the re-pops for GT Hawk. The cast metal is not as strong as was the original, so the ball-pivot tightening screw will break the cast metal quite easily.

Comment

I'm thinking that once I get the mirrors adjusted just right...add a drop of Super Glue to the pivot?...

Comment

For sheer functionality, the mirrors that clamp on to the front edge of the door are the best, and would also be period correct.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

These '55 to '57 GM Repro Mirrors are the best Quality out there.

Tinted Glass, Right Hand "Objects are closer than they appear" Wide Angle glass available on request, Stainless Steel front of mirror Head, molded Rubber gasket with a bead, only one visible screw mounting, Quality Chrome finish on Base.

Click image for larger version

Name:	55_57 Chev Mirrors.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1712627 Sold by: mr.fifty on eBay
              Last edited by StudeRich; 02-24-2017, 12:29 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

50's area mirrors

Summit racing has them for $22. Also the convex for the passenger side. They are nice. Easy to mount also.
                Free Shipping - United Pacific Exterior Mirrors with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Side View Mirrors at Summit Racing.
                Attached Files

Comment

I used the ones StudeRich posted, they look and work good.
                  Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

I avoid the HUGE Co.'s and buy them from the "Little Guy" 6 bucks a Pair more doesn't bother me.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-24-2017, 05:26 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I can't speak for the 56 mirrors but I paid a large sum of money for "regal mirrors" ....they are re-pops and I knew this when I bought them but were touted as being of the finest quality. One is a different color of chrome than the other and both of the screws that mount the mirror to the base will not stay tight. It is a #3 phillips oval head screw and if you try to tighten them up too much the countersunk hole in the casting splits. This I know first hand. they are purely for decoration anyway cause you don't see well behind the car with them. After paying all the money for them I cuss these mirrors every time I have to re-tighten them up. And you have to keep them tight or they will flop over and dent your door... I also found this out first hand. The countersunk hole for this screw is slowly spreading out and allowing the mirror to come loose. These mirrors soured my taste for anything and all re-pop. I wanted to return these as soon as I realized they were substandard quality but by then the mounting holes were drilled into my sheet metal. As soon as I come across a NOS pair of these I will be comparing them to mine and if they will stay tight I will buy them and replace mine and chalk this up to experience. So my take on the re-pop mirrors is buyer beware!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        These '55 to '57 GM Repro Mirrors are the best Quality out there.

Tinted Glass, Right Hand "Objects are closer than they appear" Wide Angle glass available on request, Stainless Steel front of mirror Head, molded Rubber gasket with a bead, only one visible screw mounting, Quality Chrome finish on Base.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62357[/ATTACH] Sold by: mr.fifty on eBay

I think that these will be the choice. A little more $$$ but then again, you get what you pay for.

I'll be ordering a set shortly… Thanks!!!

And I thank all who responded and aided in this decision...

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
                          What are the best options for a '56 Hawk? I've read that the SI reproductions are so-so and that some of the eBay options may be as good or ever better.

So what say you???
                          Don't put mirrors on the outside of your car! They will only slow you down and make you burn more fuel.<G>
                          Besides, turning your head to see what's beside you is good exercise.<GG>
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
                          X