Anyone have a good 169 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Anyone have a good 169 ?

It's been a couple of years since I was last on here with any problems. Betty has just been cantankerous as hell lately. I couldn't work her out so I trailered her to my mechanic. Two days in the shop new points and plugs and carb adjust and we thought all was good for her age. Well we get down the road 5 miles on a test drive and she just dies at the stop sign. Get her restarted get to the next stop sign and dies again. Hard to start this time. Turn around and head for shop about 8 miles. Get to the driveway and dies turning in. Won't restart now. Sit awhile and talk with George and after 15 minutes restarts. George says compression is bad. Looks like at 226,000 miles Betty is wore out. Does anyone have a good 169 sitting around you'd sell ? One that isn't burning, leaking oil and has good compression Betty is far to nice to let go to hell.
    Last edited by poweroptions; 02-28-2017, 02:30 PM.
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Engine for sale in Omaha Craigslist.

Comment

I know it's none of my business, BUT IF it were me, which it is not, I would get plenty out those Lincolns, Ford, Buick, Mercedes and ESPECIALLY an Infiniti that would be First on the Gone List, all very High Maintenance $$$ Vehicles, and think of what you could do to that dependable little Champion!

Sorry, my common Sense Frontal Lobes just had to prevail!
      Last edited by StudeRich; 02-23-2017, 10:06 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a 53 169 sitting in my driveway complete with an overdrive that turns free. It was out of a running car but I cannot vouch for it's condition. Free come take it. If you know someone coming to Arizona on March 17 for the Chuck Naugle sale, they can pick it up and bring it back for you. Or if you are coming to the sale I am not that far away. There are several 52's still available for $300.00 and it is buy one get one free.

Bob Miles
        Tucson AZ soon

Comment

THANK YOU, I have family in Falls City so this could work !
          1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            I know it's none of my business, BUT IF it were me, which it is not, I would get plenty out those Lincolns, Ford, Buick, Mercedes and ESPECIALLY an Infiniti that would be First on the Gone List, all very High Maintenance $$$ Vehicles, and think of what you could do to that dependable little Champion!

Sorry, my common Sense Frontal Lobes just had to prevail!
            I tried to change this info last night. Benz and Infiniti and both Tbirds are out of the picture these days. The Lincolns and the Buick give me no problems. The 4 door Champion doesn't seem as valuable I guess so I was trying to save a buck. The motor in it is not the original to the car. The motor was replaced before I bought it. Still going to scratch around.

Comment

Lot of years gone by. If you do find an engine that is not currently in a running vehicle, it will be very questionable whether it will be much better than the engine you already have, unless you are prepared to lay down some pretty big bucks for a guaranteed rebuilt.
              '169' covers a LOT of area, 1939-1964, and there are differences What year(s) engine do you have in mind?
              The 169 in my '48 M-5 barn find was parked since 1956, got it running and it sounded fine, then fuel pump went out. I oiled down the cylinders and it still turns over, but hasn't been started in the last 15 years. Is it still a 'good' engine? Damned if I know.
              My '62 OHV 169 ran great, but when the brakes went away, the kids were in college and expenses were high, so it went into storage and now hasn't been started in over 20 years.
              Retired, I don't even drive 10 miles a week anymore and thus have little incentive to dump cash into reviving either engine.
              If I were to ever spend the money to bring either of these back to roadworthy it would be on a V-8 swap.
              Not trying to sell anything, just the story on a couple of 'good' 169 engines.
              I don't know how 'worn out' yours is, but if a tear down reveals that it needs little more than pistons & rings you would likely be further ahead by fixing the engine you already have, rather than buying another old pig-in-a-poke.
              Last edited by Jessie J.; 02-24-2017, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                Lot of years gone by. If you do find an engine that is not currently in a running vehicle, it will be very questionable whether it will be much better than the engine you already have, unless you are prepared to lay down some pretty big bucks for a guaranteed rebuilt.
                '169' covers a LOT of area, 1939-1964, and there are differences What year(s) engine do you have in mind?
                The 169 in my '48 M-5 barn find was parked since 1956, got it running and it sounded fine, then fuel pump went out. I oiled down the cylinders and it still turns over, but hasn't been started in the last 15 years. Is it still a 'good' engine? Damned if I know.
                My '62 OHV 196 ran great, but when the brakes went away, the kids were in college and expenses were high, so it went into storage and now hasn't been started in over 20 years.
                Retired, I don't even drive 10 miles a week anymore and thus have little incentive to dump cash into reviving either engine.
                If I were to ever spend the money to bring either of these back to roadworthy it would be on a V-8 swap.
                Not trying to sell anything, just the story on a couple of 'good' 169 engines.
                I don't know how 'worn out' yours is, but if a tear down reveals that it needs little more than pistons & rings you would likely be further ahead by fixing the engine you already have, rather than buying another old pig-in-a-poke.
                Jesse, pretty much what my mechanic just said. I went to pick up the old girl this morning. He said I would be buying another engine that needed rebuilding. He thought swapping out the engine with a V8 would get more costly as he said I'd need to change the rear end, mounts and then there is the brake issue as old Betty requires half a football field to get stopped now. I'm pretty much thinking she's always had good oil pressure and I've never overheated her or abused her. After 10 years of ownership I have less than $2000 grand in repairs and (mostly) upgrades so she probably deserves a rebuild. So you are on the same page as my mechanic and he is a man I have trusted 20+ years now for everything from chainsaws to tractors to my old cars. Hell I paid $1000 for my Stude 10 years ago when I bought her from my doctor. I'm not upside down in this at all.

Comment

Fixing her up will probably be the better choice. You probably don't need a true complete rebuild. Maybe an in chassis piston, ring and valve job will be enough for your needs. Not everybody needs a $3000.00 restoration rebuild. Have your guy do some initial teardown and make decisions on how far you need to go then. No knocks or noises, so your bottom end may be fine, oil pressure is good, again maybe insides aren't as bad as you think. Have him do a leak down test. You could just have shot valves and a valve job will fix her up good enough for a few more years.

Comment

Well, I guess I should look at a car at Naugle's to put this engine to work. I love 52's and there is a couple of cars out there that I could choose as my free parts car with the 66 I bought. Just what I need, another project. But if anyone wants the 53 169 speak up before I do something like adding another project to my list.

Bob Miles
                    Tucson AZ soon

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                      My '62 OHV 196 ran great,
                      I once owned a Studebaker OHV 6.

The best thing I can say about it is that is was heavy enough to make a fair boat anchor.

You opinion may differ.

Comment

Strangely enough, although I have been a critic of the OHV 6, I must admit that I was well pleased with the overall performance of my '62 Lark 2dr six stick during the period that I drove it regularly. Actually it was 'peppy' enough up to 60 or so to keep a grin on my face, which considering that my other vehicles during that time period included a '69 SS 396 Camaro, a '70 428 4 speed Drag-Pac Cougar Eliminator, and a '70 Roadrunner, all long since departed overshadowed 'also rans', while my affection for and ownership of that old 6 cylinder Lark sedan is now well into its third decade, says something about its continuing appeal to me.

Comment

To me a boat anchor is a big block 454,472,500 GM car engine. They were heavy, low rev great consumer of gas, oil slinging engine that when they needed maintenance were expensive to rebuild and cast aside. The Champion six in various forms weighed in at 450 pounds including transmission.

Comment

I've heard many times that the Champion six was one of the most durable and dependable gasoline engines ever built. Tests during WWII showed they would outlast any other engines they were tested against. Fix that little engine up. I bet it won't be as expensive as you think. You will likely be rewarded with years more service.
                            Ed Sallia
                            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

You are money ahead to just rebuild what you have over getting another one that you know nothing about. The difference will be minimal and when your done you will know what you have.

Comment

Working...
                              X