1948 Champion Convertible top screw drive help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1948 Champion Convertible top screw drive help

Ok, the restoration is getting close to being finished but these lift assemblies have stumped me. The original set that were in the car were in pieces, no bearings and were in the trunk. So, now I have a donor set that were complete but frozen up. Got them unstuck and disassembled and cleaned up. Now I want to put everything back together but I can't seem to figure out how to get 118 tiny ball bearings back into each list assembly. I've tried a few different ways but nothing seems to work. What am I missing. Help. Oh, and here is a picture of the car so far. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6017.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1753598

Put the ball nut on the screw, half way down the screw length. With the flat side of the nut facing up, feed the balls into the hole on the ball nut and turn the screw until the balls start coming out the other hole. Fill the U-tube with balls and bolt it on the ball nut. Do the same with the other set, if the ball nut has two sets.

Be sure to grease the balls before putting them in the holes.

I love the color on the car. Tulip Cream?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
    X