Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the lump in the very back of the trunk compartment on my Hawk for???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the lump in the very back of the trunk compartment on my Hawk for???

The one I am talking about is a tear drop and is next to the trunk latch. I was wondering if a light was planned and was not put into production after the stamping was modified?? . just noticed it when replacing my trunk pan. Might be a spacer to keep tire off of the latch???

What year Hawk?

Comment

I don't know anything about a Hawk but the stamping may be for rigidity of the floor??

Comment

Are you talking about the one just to the right of center on the trunk floor it's self? If so that is where the spare tire goes. Tire sits right over that.

Comment

I think he is talking about the bulge in the rear trunk wall of some years of C & K Models.
          Everything has a reason, but that one I am not sure exactly what it is.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A photo would help.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              A photo would help.
              I was just getting ready to comment on that. One photo would have made this SOOOOOOO much easier!
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Yes! It isn't difficult.
                Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                I was just getting ready to comment on that. One photo would have made this SOOOOOOO much easier!
                Lou Van Anne
                62 Champ
                64 R2 GT Hawk
                79 Avanti II

Comment

You are correct. it is at the rear of the trunk. it is not the spare tire bulge with threaded hole. my donor 55 commander trunk pan has it. My skyhawk has it. I am thinking most all hawks have it. Teardrop shap next to trunk latch late. I will try to get picture. Did not mean to make people mad because no picture.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  I think he is talking about the bulge in the rear trunk wall of some years of C & K Models.
                  Everything has a reason, but that one I am not sure exactly what it is.

Comment

Just looked at mine and now understand.....a secret location for running drugs?
                    Lou Van Anne
                    62 Champ
                    64 R2 GT Hawk
                    79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by cabforward View Post
                      Did not mean to make people mad because no picture.
                      I assure you, no one is mad. We've just been here long enough to have seen many inquiries about "what is this", while the simplest description of "this" amounts to a photo. "Worth a thousand words" so to speak.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

This is the trunk of a 53 hardtop.
                        I'm guessing the bump may be to locate the spare tire, but you never know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170220_212856.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1712570
                        Curious on other opinions.
                        Bill
                        http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
                        sigpic

Comment

Curiously, now that the culprit in question is photographically identified, exemplified as well in my '53 Coupe, I can see absolutely no functional or structural application.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2210009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1712571
                          Brad Johnson,
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I've always figured it was to help position the spare. If you look at it with the spare in place, it makes kind of a flat area for the tire to rub on and keep it from moving around. I think this would be more noticeable with a original type bias tire as compared to the photo of that radial.

I've got a "semi-donut" spare in my '53. Its about normal diameter but thinner. Intrudes less in the trunk for more luggage room. Came from a lincoln town car. I don't use the big hold-down disk but rather ran the hold-down bolt through one of the lug nut holes. That shifts the wheel closer to the back and it sets nice and snug up against that bulged spot.

If its not for locating or securing the spare, I have no idea what it would be for as there is nothing inside the rear box section of the body or way to get inside there. The factory accessory trunk light mounts to the underside of the lid above the lock and the better place for it to light up the inside in the dark.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                              Curiously, now that the culprit in question is photographically identified, exemplified as well in my '53 Coupe, I can see absolutely no functional or structural application.
                              I'm certain it is for that reason.

But a few '53 body panels had stampings in them for items that never appeared in production, such as the second interior door handle on C/K models.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X