Interesting Survey: How Much ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Survey: How Much ???

Rather than hijack another thread, I was wondering what folks here think about this impersonal survey.

What would you spend for an entry "daily driver" ?? You know, a 60+ year old car needing "some" body work (maybe floors, some surface rust [not structural], interior, seals, working mechanicals-but maybe needing: tires, exhaust, minor electrical attention, etc. Maybe not suspension, but steering (bushings/bearings)....No cracked curved glass..... You know... a 30 footer. Needing a little attention to most systems (from disuse), but not a rust bucket or parts' car......

3 categories: sedans ? Hawks ? Trucks ? And not specific vehicles like 2 dr wagons, avantis, or ragtops.... ?? And factor in shipping costs if they apply....for your geo.

Just curious where wallets lie.

My take: SEDAN = $1500-2000 HAWKS = $2500-3000. TRUCKS $2500-3000.

Sounds about right to me. Maybe a little higher on the Hawks and lower on the trucks, but that's just me. Then again sometimes we fall in love with a particular car and go higher than we should.
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

I paid $3500 for my 59, 2dr. wagon Lark, my first Studebaker.
      This was about 13 years ago.

Mostly nice overall, but the drivers floor...the opening for the master cylinder had grown to a large nondescript shape. A little rust starting to show bubbles in the paint in the bottom of the lower tail gate. Unknown what was under the rest of the paint..!
      American 5 spoke aluminum wheels (no, not "mag" wheels), a bunch of the Offenhauser parts along with a rear deck full of boxes of literature in the back.

Still driving it, still runs well. Though it will be replaced (sold) by the 54 wagon I've been working on.

Mike

Comment

I'd look upon a $3000 Hawk as too much of a project; would pay $5000-7000 for a better Hawk; not interested in any of the others listed. Six cylinder version of anything, would only pay parts car price.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
          I'd look upon a $3000 Hawk as too much of a project; would pay $5000-7000 for a better Hawk; not interested in any of the others listed. Six cylinder version of anything, would only pay parts car price.
          Dang, Joe... Thats quite the brutal assault on all things 6 cylinder, eh? Although, I'm not exactly disagreeing with you. When I got my 62 Convertible, it already ran, but had the 6 with 3 speed in it. That had to go.
          As far as the sedans go... well.... maybe I agree with that as well. Cuz, just after I got the Convertible, I found a 64 4 door with a factory 289 4 speed. I got it for a screamin deal, so the V8 got yanked out and transplanted into the Convertible. I think these two cars got mixed up at birth and I was here on earth to put things right again. Now I had a V8 4 speed Convertible. All was well with me, my karma and Mother Nature as a whole.
          As an aside... the 4 door got sold to someone who could love it, and the 6 cylinder went to a good home for a someone needing such a thing. By the time I got paid for the sedan and the 6, I had a free V8 4 speed in my Vert. Awesome.
          sals54

Comment

Sorry, I realize you asked to exclude Avantis, however, I can't think of a more practical 'Studebaker related' vehicle to use as a 'daily driver' than a 'B' series ('71-'85) Avanti! And, in 'well used' condition, they can now be purchased very reasonably! ($2500-$6000).....The all fiberglass body, cheapo Chevy drivetrain, good weight distribution, etc., are, of course, other advantages!

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
              Dang, Joe... Thats quite the brutal assault on all things 6 cylinder, eh? Although, I'm not exactly disagreeing with you. When I got my 62 Convertible, it already ran, but had the 6 with 3 speed in it. That had to go.
              As far as the sedans go... well.... maybe I agree with that as well. Cuz, just after I got the Convertible, I found a 64 4 door with a factory 289 4 speed. I got it for a screamin deal, so the V8 got yanked out and transplanted into the Convertible. I think these two cars got mixed up at birth and I was here on earth to put things right again. Now I had a V8 4 speed Convertible. All was well with me, my karma and Mother Nature as a whole.
              As an aside... the 4 door got sold to someone who could love it, and the 6 cylinder went to a good home for a someone needing such a thing. By the time I got paid for the sedan and the 6, I had a free V8 4 speed in my Vert. Awesome.
              Hi Sal,
              Maybe a bit brutal on the sixes. They are often the nicest survivors, since the six doesn't do as much wear and tear on the front end. Also, they are often low mile Studes, when found.

Sounds like you came out on top, all the way around in your dealings above. But it took you quite a bit of labor, though I count that as free, since its a labor of love.

Comment

Yeah, Joe. Believe it or not... it increased the value of that Convertible 12 fold. As much as I wanted to keep it, at the time I was still building the house with nowhere to store. I did the engine transplant on my gravel driveway. The hoist stayed put while the cars were moved in and out. It was a pain, but all in all, not as tough as it sounds.
                In fact, in terms of sedans, I recently bought a 64 4 door which the previous owner lost interest in. He had rebuilt the 289 and trans and quit on it. R1 cam, new Edlebrock 4 bbl, etc. Its now the engine powering my 56 Wagon. I sold off many of the misc parts off the 64 and broke even again.
                So, yeah. Like you perhaps, I love the 6 cyl's and sedans, but probably not like some others do.
                Now just watch, in the future, 4 door sedans will become the collector car of choice. I can see it now..... "Crossing the stage next here at Barrett Jackson is a 1962 Studebaker Lark 4 door sedan with a 6 cyl engine and 3 speed transmission. Do I hear an opening bid of $45,000 ? Now $50,000. Now $65,000... etc. etc. etc. You just never know what's the hot ticket next, do ya?
                sals54

Comment

I think your estimate of truck prices that meet your criteria are a bit low.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                    I think your estimate of truck prices that meet your criteria are a bit low.
                    Agree. About 10 years ago, my older brother paid $2000 for a 49 Stude pickup, that had to be trailered home. About $12,000 later, it is almost too nice to drive. But it drives out beautifully, with a later Stude 289/T89 setup. Everyone is looking for something cheap, that someone else dumped a ton of money into. Not real easy to find though.

Comment

Agree with JOE.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                        Agree. About 10 years ago, my older brother paid $2000 for a 49 Stude pickup, that had to be trailered home. About $12,000 later, it is almost too nice to drive. But it drives out beautifully, with a later Stude 289/T89 setup. Everyone is looking for something cheap, that someone else dumped a ton of money into. Not real easy to find though.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20160806_123448.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1712564 I agree it is not easy to find that good deal that someone else dumped way too much money into but it can be done. This my 62 Hawk that spent most of it's life in Texas, original 289, tranny, A/C, new interior and flawless body except for 2 scratches. The previous owner had nearly $40G into it, I paid $16500. I love the car too!

Comment

Working...
                        X