houdaille shock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks: houdaille shock question

I have two sets of houdaille shocks from a 50 land cruiser I am try to restore to use. My problem, one rear pair is a lot stiffer then the other and I don't know which I should use. Both have been drained and filled with jack oil for testing and both vary when adjusted. How do I tell if one is worn out or the other is plugged up inside. When I drained them they both had a blue fluid that did not mix with alcohol but did mix with jack oil so I assume they have been filled with some kind of petroleum based fluid. I did notice that even after draining one is much stiffer. Can anyone suggest how to tell which I should use. One other thing, one set is from a car that has been driven a little over the last five or six years and the stiffer ones has been sitting for at least the last ten, could have been longer. Thanks
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

Some petro based fluids will swell the seals up and cause excessive drag. I know most of the early Houdalle lever shocks used a glycerin based fluid, which caused problems with rust over time. I think I have a couple of NOS front shocks from that era laying around but I think they have sat too long and they are both from the same side. You can have them for the price of USPS flat rate shipping if you can use them.

Comment

Apple Hydraulics will restore them, but it's not cheap.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have looked into rebuilding but just can't afford over $600.00 for a set. These seem to work, just don't know which ones to use. I'm leaning to the stiffer as I prefer a firmer ride. I appreciate the offer but at this time I am working on the rear. Also I have two complete sets. I have a near complete 50 land cruiser parts car in the back pasture.

I am also looking into installing stander tube shocks, the rear frame has the mounting holes just like the champion. The front has the top mount but I will have to come up with the lower mounting plate. I have parted out four 1950 champions and should have a couple around someplace. I will have to see what the min and max length is. Does anyone know if the travel is the same on the champion and land cruiser?
        sigpic
        Barn Find
        1950 Champion
        Before I started
        Jim Berry
        Midlothian, TX

Comment

Isn't there an adjustment on these shocks? That could account for the difference in stiffness.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

If there are bolt on parts available to do it I think I'd use tube shocks.

The Houdales must be ok functionally if working correctly. They were still used in Ferraris in 1959.
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I would not over-think it. You will not be pulling .86 G on the skidpad or doing rally car stages. I would pick the pair that move smoothly end-to-end and are most similar to each other in resistance. They are adjustable, somewhere online I found a scanned Houdaille manual that talked about it but I can't find that link.

One of my shocks is leaking pretty badly now so I will be launching into that project before too long.

Nathan

Comment

One of these started leaking pretty badly after I cleaned it out and the other is rough when moving so I think I will try to fit a pair of tube shocks to the back for now. Have not checked the front pair yet. I like the lever shocks but right now I need the money for other parts and repairs. Hope I can get them rebuilt a little later.
                sigpic
                Barn Find
                1950 Champion
                Before I started
                Jim Berry
                Midlothian, TX

Comment

Working...
                X