Reproduction Studebaker tailgates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reproduction Studebaker tailgates?

I was told of there being a guy in Iowa that manufactures reproduction, authentic looking Studebaker pickup tailgates. Does anybody know of such a person, either in Iowa or elsewhere that offers such a thing?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

If you ever find them, do please post it here,I'd like one too! Then again, I might go with one of Classic Enterprises' script-type tailgates. I can almost buy another truck for the price of one though...
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Don't mean to always go this way, but...SI offers them.
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Mack Products list a 1956-1959 (wouldn't it be the same until 1964 for the fender side box?) for $295 which sounds reasonable. Has anyone here purchased one of these and were you satisfied with it? No photos of product on website so I will email for such.
          Studebaker International doesn't list tailgates in there catalog, though they may have one or two NOS in stock.
          sigpic

Comment

Mack Products replied back to me that there tailgates are exact copies of the original Studebaker tailgates. They are currently out of 1956-59 tailgates and he doesn't know when they will have more produced. I suppose if enough people requested such, then they would produce a bunch in a short amount of time.
            sigpic

Comment

I got the one for my M5 from SI. They had R and Champ tailgates there last May.

As an aside, I believe the tailgate is the single most important piece of sheet metal on a pickup. How many times will one guy say, "Look, an old pickup. I wonder what kind it is?" and the other guy will say, "Let's just see" as he walks around back to read the script on the tailgate? I honestly can't believe they didn't put "Studebaker" on the tailgate of the Coupes Express!

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                http://mack-products.com/products-page/studebaker/
                Mack Products list a 1956-1959 (wouldn't it be the same until 1964 for the fender side box?/Cut/
                They would fit if someone had a very rare '62 to '64 Champ with a Special Ordered P1, 1949 looking Box.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mary has a really decent tailgate, she says 1956-63, that she might be ready to sell. She's had this thing for twenty years and I think that she would like to see it go to a good home. I don't know much about pickups, but I do know how important the tailgates are. She has talked about Ebay, but sheepishly she indicated that she would take $300 OBO+shipping, but she would rather not have to ship. We did have in mind someone in mind, but I think that he might be interested in it for a wall hanging. I think that both of us would like it to go to someone who really needs it for his truck.

I just looked at it, condition: no damage, dents or rust through, but is covered it some pretty heavy surface rust, but again no cancer that I can see. It measures 51" across, less the lip X18" T to B. She says that she has pictures that she can send.-Bill

Comment

For SI try #801366 and 801240 for tailgates.
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                      For SI try #801366 and 801240 for tailgates.
                      I have a late style tail gate in perfect cond which I can deliver to York

Comment

I'll be looking for a tailgate for a 1961 Champ fender side bed when I go to South Bend in May. Price wise, what does a used tailgate in good condition bring these days?
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X