Looking For a Robe Rope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For a Robe Rope

I am looking for a robe rope for my 1955 President Sedan. There is a '55 President for sale right now on eBay that shows a picture of one. I don't want to buy an entire car just to get that part.
    In case of confusion, this is the rope that is attached to the back of the front seat and is attached with metal hardware at both ends.
    If any of you have an idea where I could find one of these I could sure use your help. This is just one of those parts that came with the car and is a nice detail to complete it.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Do you need the hardware as well as the rope and the covering ?
    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I too am in need of a robe rail or robe rope. My need is for a '52 Land Cruiser that I am restoring. I have all the hardware, but need a robe rope to compliment the restored interior. Does anyone make these?

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
        Do you need the hardware as well as the rope and the covering ?
        I am in need of the hardware and the rope.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I made one for my 52 Land Cruiser. I had 1 escutcheon and a buddy made me two new ones at his machine shop. The rope was made from from pvc tube cable and vinyl. I'll see if I can attach pictures. I hope this helps.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3038.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1712459

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1712460

Name:	IMG_3031.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1712461

Name:	IMG_3026.jpg
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1712462

Name:	IMG_3035.jpg
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1712463

Name:	IMG_3033.jpg
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1712464
          This is an original one from a friends 52

Name:	IMG_3040.JPG
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1712465
          sigpic
          2005 Dodge Magnum
          1952 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Next time you go inside the bank just grab one of their "line delineaters."
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

On many cars, that "rope" is covered with the same stuff that covers the wind lace.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I don't know if Restoration Specialties & Supplies has robe rope material, but they would be a good place to try:

If they don't have it, I'll bet they know who does. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Could a robe rail be ordered on a low trim level Champion, say in 1950?
                  I was pretty young, but seem to remember my dad's lowest trim level 4 door 1950 Champion having one.
                  I suppose it could have been added by my dad also. The car didn't have the hood ornament fin, nor even a cigarette lighter. The only other accessories it had was the heater and curb feelers.

Comment

I have a pair of Studebaker Robe Rail Brackets NOS in the boxes, part numbers 287092 and 287093. These fit 1947 to 1950 Commanders.

I believe this style bracket was also used from 1951 thru 1955, but had a hole drilled down the center for a screw.

If these are something you are interested in send me a PM.

[IMG

][/IMG]
                    Dan Peterson
                    Montpelier, VT
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Tom
                      I believe I was told by someone on this forum years ago (I don't recall who for sure-sorry) that robe rails were only offered on Commanders and Land Cruisers, but not Champions, in 1947-52. I'm sure that you could probably order some robe rail kit through a dealer or aftermarket, if you really wanted one, however.
                      John
                      1950 Champion
                      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                      Holdrege NE

Comment

I will be parting out a 1950 Commander Land Cruiser. It has it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
                          Tom
                          I believe I was told by someone on this forum years ago (I don't recall who for sure-sorry) that robe rails were only offered on Commanders and Land Cruisers, but not Champions, in 1947-52. I'm sure that you could probably order some robe rail kit through a dealer or aftermarket, if you really wanted one, however.
                          Thanks, that's what I figured.
                          Since this was my dad's first new car, I'd bet he added the robe rail.
                          I know when we went to visit relatives and drove through the night my dad put boards between the rear shelf and front seat so all of us kids could sleep on the rear floor, rear seat, and upper bunk.

Comment

Working...
                          X