Damaged Hawk in Arizona is ours now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged Hawk in Arizona is ours now!

Well, Kathy and I bought another Hawk-- Al Duble' s damaged '59. We're looking for some help in
    1. Moving it to the Seattle area. Haven't had great experiences with trucking companies-- giving low bids to get the contract and then leaving the car sitting for weeks on end waiting to find a driver who just happens to be in that area willing to work cheap... and not finding one... till you get fed up and pay a higher price.
    Anyone happen to be coming this way with an empty trailer? I'm happy to pay a fair price.
    2. Looking for parts to replace L.F. corner of car: hood, hinges, L. fender, both outer grille shells, core support, F. bumper, H/L ass'y, possibly radiator, etc. What do you have stashed out there?
    His-n-hers Hawks! What could be better? 'Twill be fun to build.
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1965 Cruiser
    1970 Avanti

Sounds like fun!! You might mention where in AZ it is located so people will know where it needs to be picked up from.

Comment

I've got a trailer and I'm in the Seattle area. Do you want to go get it and bring it back?

Come along to split the driving and we can keep the cost down. Maybe someone else between here and there needs something hauled back as well. If it will fit in the back of the truck I can make it work.

Fair warning. I'm a zombie driver. Once I'm behind the wheel I'm on auto-pilot for at least 36 hours - 24 when accompanied - and then I sleep 4 hours before I repeat. That means no stopping except to eat and use the can, and that's only at gas stations when fueling. Don't know where it is in Arizona, but, as an example, it's a 1400 mile - 22 hour drive via 84E and 93S to Phoenix. If I were picking it up in Phoenix, the truck gets nearly 500 miles to a tank, so it would be two stops going, fill there, two stops back. My goal would be to get down there, load, and get back in under 48 hours.

If that interests you, PM me.
      Last edited by hausdok; 02-12-2017, 02:29 AM.
      Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
      Kenmore, Washington
      hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
      '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
      '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
      '69 Pontiac Firebird
      (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

I had posted the car originally in another post but the CL ad is still up:

Payson is northeast of the Phoenix/Mesa area. It is about approximately a 90 minute drive from Phoenix. I think 89 goes through Payson so you may want to check a map to see if that is correct. Might be better than going through Phoenix unless you want to stop and see some Studebaker people there.

The price originally was 6K but last ad had it at 4K. It is nice the car will live another day.

Bob Miles
        Tucson AZ
        Temporarily in Big Fork, MT

Comment

Congratulations on your Hawk purchase. I am pleased to read it with be saved and repaired. Good luck on your parts search and repair. Enjoy.
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

drrotor, check your private messages.

Comment

I have a used left front Hawk fender for sale. Not sure what year it came off of. A dog leg to Walla Walla would only add 30 miles to your trip. PM me if interested.
              Cliff
              54 Commander Coupe driver
              53 Commander Hardtop project
              SE Washington State

Comment

I've got 2 Hawk front bumpers up in the rafters. I'm in Sacramento... so I'm more or less on the way. $50 for either one.
                sals54

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post

That means no stopping except to eat and use the can, and that's only at gas stations when fueling.
                  HaHa, that's what I tell my wife every time we drive down to Florida.
                  I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wlfrench View Post
                    HaHa, that's what I tell my wife every time we drive down to Florida.
                    Well, I admit that if my wife's with me I can't get away with that. However, after she accompanied me on a trip to pick up a bunch of stuff for Brian, haul it to the shippers in Long Beach, turn around and go up to Hollywood and buy a PH, haul that back down to the shippers, and then turn and head for Seattle, picking up a Hawk on the way and dropping it about 30 miles south of Seattle, I doubt she's going to want to get back in that truck anytime soon.

Subsequent to that trip, I've invited her on a couple of local runs I made for Brian on other deals and she just emphatically shook her head and said, "No, no. You go, I'm fine right here by myself."
                    Kenmore, Washington
                    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                    '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
                      Well, I admit that if my wife's with me I can't get away with that. However, after she accompanied me on a trip to pick up a bunch of stuff for Brian, haul it to the shippers in Long Beach, turn around and go up to Hollywood and buy a PH, haul that back down to the shippers, and then turn and head for Seattle, picking up a Hawk on the way and dropping it about 30 miles south of Seattle, I doubt she's going to want to get back in that truck anytime soon.

Subsequent to that trip, I've invited her on a couple of local runs I made for Brian on other deals and she just emphatically shook her head and said, "No, no. You go, I'm fine right here by myself."
                      Mike-- Unable to send you a PM as your box is full. I'll try again later to see if you've cleared some room, or PM me your phone number.-- Kenny
                      1951 Commander Starlight
                      1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                      1953 Champion Starlight
                      1953 Commander Starliner
                      1953 2R5
                      1957 Silver Hawk
                      1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                      1959 Silver Hawk
                      1961 Hawk
                      1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                      1963 Daytona Convertible
                      1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                      1965 Cruiser
                      1970 Avanti

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                        I've got 2 Hawk front bumpers up in the rafters. I'm in Sacramento... so I'm more or less on the way. $50 for either one.
                        Thanks, Guys, for the parts offers so far-- keep 'em coming! Hope to find most of them in one spot to keep the miles down, but considering them all.
                        1951 Commander Starlight
                        1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                        1953 Champion Starlight
                        1953 Commander Starliner
                        1953 2R5
                        1957 Silver Hawk
                        1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                        1959 Silver Hawk
                        1961 Hawk
                        1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                        1963 Daytona Convertible
                        1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                        1965 Cruiser
                        1970 Avanti

Comment

Originally posted by drrotor View Post
                          Mike-- Unable to send you a PM as your box is full. I'll try again later to see if you've cleared some room, or PM me your phone number.-- Kenny
                          Email is: hausdok@msn.com
                          Kenmore, Washington
                          hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                          '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                          '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                          '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Bob Miles, sent you a PM.

Comment

I have owned 2 of Al's cars. My first one was his 1950 Commander Regal Deluxe Sedan which you see pictured in my avatar to the left. I sold it when I purchased the other one which I currently own, his '55 President State Sedan. I purchased it from the owner that Al had sold it to. He used to live just 4 miles from me in Newberg and had a huge barn filled with Studebakers. When he and his wife decided to sell and move to Arizona he sold all but 3 or 4 of them. He had a nice collection. I am glad to see they are still going to good homes.
                              Ed Sallia
                              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
                              X