Interior convertible roof rib color? 1951 Champion Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Interior convertible roof rib color? 1951 Champion Convertible

I'm having a new convertible top installed on my 1951 Champion Regal Convertible, to match what she wore when she left South Bend in late 1950. My car is Comanche Red with a red and white cloth and vinyl interior. The convertible top was originally tan. But right now it's an ugly white vinyl. I'm going back to a tan top, but should the "ribs" in the roof be painted tan to match the flexible roof? They are currently an ugly white color. Expert advice needed!

The top bows on our car our still the original paint and are tan. I'll post pictures this afternoon if you want.

Comment

Yes, that would be very helpful. Based on your avatar, we must have the same car!

Comment

I agree. The original ribs on my 50 Commander are tan and Studebaker probably used that exact same color from 47-52.

If you want your 51 top to be original, be aware that it never had a zip out window, or even the original chrome window mounted in a zip out flap. The zip out flap first appeared with the large plastic window in 1952. 47-51 had the chrome and glass window mounted directly to the top, it could not be opened. It makes a big blind spot when the top is up. Maybe that's another reason that folks put in the canvas flap, so they have better rear vision.

I just mention this because you said the top should look like original. A lot of expensive restorations make this mistake, then many people copy that mistake on their own cars. I don't think many people even know this any more.
        Last edited by RadioRoy; 02-09-2017, 09:55 PM.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I agree with Roy on the correct top. Pictures of our car from very early show exactly what he is talking about. That said, the only top I could find without a zipout panel does not fit well. You might have to have one made.

My picture of the color of the top bow looks right to me on my computer and camera, but may not translate well on your monitor.

Our car will be in South Bend for the Intl Meet, so look forward to seeing you there. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1712397

Comment

I have seen some very ill fitting tops on convertibles.
            Maybe convertible owners can compare notes n who made their tops.
            I saw one 1950 Champion top that would not lower into the well and it stalls the drive motor.
            Also more info on the rubber stops that I believe were added later.
            There were small chrome curved strips on some top but not on others.
            Lionel Stone used to make the top hinges with the bend arm that was the one that always broke , out of brass.
            I wonder who bought the tooling for these.
            There used to be a vendor in Somerset PA. that also made brass top hinges.
            He passed away several years ago an I wonder what happened to his parts.
            I still have some of the small chrome trim pieces for the top and an original chrome window frame ,drive cables, top hinges , screw drives and other convertible top parts for sale.

Robert Kapteyn
            studebaker@mac.com
            put "studebaker" in the subject box
            otherwise it goes to "trash"
            Last edited by rkapteyn; 02-10-2017, 09:46 AM.

Comment

So the car shipped with the glass & chrome insert window? I presume it's safer to have a larger vinyl window. That's a tough decision!

Comment

Look at the picture in the owner's manual. It shows the rear of the top and the window.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

OK -- once I get an owner's manual, I will! It's been on backorder but "shipping soon" from Studebaker International.

Comment

Had some NOS castings in stock. They came painted tan. Let me look, If anyone want brand new. Also have quite a few owners manuals that seem to be NLA right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X