New member from Hamburg/Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member from Hamburg/Germany

Hello @ all or "Moin" how we say here in northern germany.

Normally I had planned to write when my Studebaker has arrived here in Hamburg.
    But unfortunately a guy from the forwarding company has filled out some papers for the customs in the wrong way and my Studebaker has not been shipped to germany yet.
    Due to this fact, I have to wait another month until the 3rd of March

Me, that is Martin. I'm 45 years old and I bought my 1955 Commander Sedan from Randy and Nell a couple of weeks ago.

This commander is my first Studebaker, it is the first classic car at all for me.
    I am a little bit excited and can't wait until my "new" car will arrive in Hamburg.

I have had a look to the german SDC Chapter, but it seems it is not active anymore. The last entry is from 2015 without any response.

I like your forum and I was surprised how busy it is. I already found some answers to my questions and I'm sure, I will have several questions in future.

Best regards
    Martin

Welcome, Martin. Welcome to the Studebaker addiction (I mean hobby). I am excited for you as you await your "new" Studebaker. My first car was a 1955 Commander that my dad had first purchased and turned it into a really fast car. I was surprised when one day he handed me the keys. I was very excited, just as you are now so I know how you feel.
    These are great cars and you made a good choice. I am curious why you decided on a Studebaker. Please post photos when you get your car and keep us apprised on your progress as you use and work on it.
    You should go ahead and join the International SDC by going to their website at http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp
    I have seen posts here from members in Germany so maybe one of them will see this and get in touch with you about how you can get plugged in with other Studebaker owners there. It sure is nice to have another member from Europe and specifically Germany. I hope your car arrives on time.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
      I am curious why you decided on a Studebaker.
      Oh, this is a long story.
      I visited Alabama and Florida for vacation this year. I saw a couple of very nice classic cars. Some were offered for sell.
      I thought, it must be very expensive to ship a car from the states to germany. So I do not thought about these cars any longer.
      Back in germany I get some informations about shipping cars to germany. I recognizied that it is not as expensive as I thought.
      So I start search for a car on Hemmings.
      First I searched for a Pickup. I like the 2R5 but when I searched for a nice car I can't find the right one. The one was too expensive, the other was too rusty.
      So, I searched for other cars and on this way I came to the Studebaker Commander.
      My problem was that I can't check the car in the US, cause I do not have enough time to come in the US a second time this year.
      Then I found the Comander, offerd by Randy and Nell. I like the car, I had a good communication with Randy and Nell. So I trusted in my good feeling and now the Commander is mine ;-)

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
      Please post photos when you get your car and keep us apprised on your progress as you use and work on it.
      I promise I will do
      Last edited by gsx_martin; 02-08-2017, 10:03 AM.

Comment

gsx_martin, You will enjoy Randy and Nell's car, it is as good as they say. They are very nice people and they always cared for their cars. I suppose this is the green one they had, saw it several times. I was also in a couple of clubs when we lived in Alabama, and that is where I met them years ago. Welcome to the Studebaker world, great folks with great cars and a super club (SDC). Oh, I also have a 55 Commander (with President emblems), but mine is a coupe. Again, welcome ! John

Comment

Hello Martin, I'd advise you to get in touch with the Dutch Studebaker-Packard Club, not far away from you & they've got quite some cars, not as many as Sweden but I'd say more than Germany + a guy with LOADS of spare-parts if you ever will need any!
          (I also have a -55 sedan, but a Champion that I've put a V8 in.)
          Best luck & many miles!!!

Comment

Martin: Welcome to the Studebaker world! There are many helpful people on the SDC forum that are available if you ever need any information or advice. I was in Darmstadt years ago while in the military. Later both of my children were living in your country and we would visit beautiful Germany. Best wishes.
            "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Welcome to the Forum. I would suggest that you get in contact with the International Zone Director
              "Paul Dammes
              Tramweg 14
              3255 MB Oude Tonge
              The Netherlands .
              Tel / Fax 0031187642955"
              Paul is very knowledgable and has visited the USA numerous times to attend SDC International meets. You may email him by clicking on his email found in the contacts area of the Studebaker Drivers Club Home Page.
              I too have a 1955 Studebaker President (Sedan). It is a fine driver quality car. I am sure that you will enjoy your Commander as much as I enjoy my President. Good luck with the car and enjoy our club.

cliff t
              sigpic
              55 President Deluxe
              64 Commander
              66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Martin,

Herzlich Willkommen in dem Club! Wo wohnen Sie in Norddeutschland? Ich war einmal in der Nähe von Bremerhaven stationiert. Dei Leute hier wird immer gerne behilflich sein. Zu jeder Zeite, Stellen Sie Ihre Fragen!

Translation for those who don't speak German: I welcomed Martin to the club. Asked where he lives in Northern Germany. Mentioned I was once stationed near Bremerhaven and told him that the people here are extremely helpful and told him to ask questions anytime.

It looks to me like his English is better than my German, so I don't expect he'll ever post in German here or need a translator; but it doesn't hurt to let him know that if he does need one there is someone here that can help.
                Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                Kenmore, Washington
                hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                '69 Pontiac Firebird
                (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Originally posted by gsx_martin View Post
                  Hello @ all or "Moin" how we say here in northern Germany.
                  Best regards
                  Martin
                  Greetings from Down Under. We're everywhere !! Quentin

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Martin.
                    I hope you'll enjoy your car as much as I enjoy my Hawk. Hold on! You just have 24 days to wait for your car.
                    If I'm not indiscreet, I'd like to know (roughly) how much you paid to get your car sent to Germany. I'd love to get another Studebaker.
                    You'll soon discover that getting parts for your car is very easy, even in Europe. There are a lot of vendors and some parts are also available through more classic channels.
                    There is a forum German member that owns a Hawk and a Lark but I can't recall his name. There is a also an Austrian (same name on the forum) who currently restores a 1954 Champion Starliner.
                    I've heard that a European meeting should be held in Switzerland in May but that is all the info I got.
                    Welcome again and nice day to all.

Christophe
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
                      Martin,

Herzlich Willkommen in dem Club! Wo wohnen Sie in Norddeutschland? Ich war einmal in der Nähe von Bremerhaven stationiert. Dei Leute hier wird immer gerne behilflich sein. Zu jeder Zeite, Stellen Sie Ihre Fragen!

Translation for those who don't speak German: I welcomed Martin to the club. Asked where he lives in Northern Germany. Mentioned I was once stationed near Bremerhaven and told him that the people here are extremely helpful and told him to ask questions anytime.

It looks to me like his English is better than my German, so I don't expect he'll ever post in German here or need a translator; but it doesn't hurt to let him know that if he does need one there is someone here that can help.
                      I live approxematly 30km/20 miles south west from Hamburg in a small town called Revenahe. 500 people lives here and 600 cows
                      Bremerhaven is approx. 60km/40 miles away.

Good to know, that I can ask you in german, if I have problems with the translation to english

@ Christophe
                      The shipping including habour handling in Savannah and Bremerhaven costs 1950€/2100$.
                      In this price the transport from the seller to the harbour is included.

Comment

I really like that more Studebakers comes to Europe but if you wanna buy one nearer & drive it home, Sweden aint that awfully far away...
                        (No, mine's not for sale thou!)

Comment

Hello Martin from the UK!

We have the Studebaker Owners Club UK www.studebakerownersclub.org.uk and we have a few members from other countries that have joined our club. A couple of years ago, the UK hosted the Annual European Tour. I took a day off work and loaded a small movie on YouTube. Cars came from Belgium, Switzerland, France, Italy and I'm not sure if anyone came from Germany https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8levUsVgHU

Separately, I've created a Studebaker Owners Club UK Facebook page, which you're very welcome to join... you can never have enough people to connect with to ask those questions that need an answer!

Welcome to your "new" Studebaker family, which is a global collective - hope you have some good times to come,
                          Richard
                          Richard
                          sigpic

Comment

I live approxematly 30km/20 miles south west from Hamburg in a small town called Revenahe. 500 people lives here and 600 cows
                            Bremerhaven is approx. 60km/40 miles away.

Good to know, that I can ask you in german, if I have problems with the translation to english

@ Christophe
                            The shipping including habour handling in Savannah and Bremerhaven costs 1950€/2100$.
                            Wow, that's a pretty good price for shipping that far. Did you have to pay any kind of import duties at the port?
                            Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                            Kenmore, Washington
                            hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                            '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                            '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                            '69 Pontiac Firebird
                            (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

@ Christophe
                              Thanks for your reply, Martin.
                              I hope you won't have any further delays and that your car will arrive in good shape.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X