A Studebaker genealogy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Studebaker genealogy question

Someone will remember this from the past few years; I think it was in Richard Quinn's "Almanac"section of TW. It was a mention of the Studebaker family, plus when they arrived, the ship they came over on and the part of Germany from which they emigrated. My recollection is that they arrived in the early to mid 1700's, but theship's name is what I have been trying to remember. I would go thru my back issues but everything is packed in boxes.... getting ready for a move back to New England! Too darned hot here in FL! Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give. bob.c

I know the family arrived in 1736.

Comment

I know the family arrived in 1736.

Comment

I believe it was the Earle. I know a SDC member in MI that had an ancester come over on the same ship.

Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO
        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

I believe it was the Earle. I know a SDC member in MI that had an ancester come over on the same ship.

Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO
          President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
          Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO

Comment

Correction 'Harle' not Earle. Go to SDC home page and click on links and History.
            '

Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO
            Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO

Comment

Correction 'Harle' not Earle. Go to SDC home page and click on links and History.
              '

Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO
              Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO

Comment

Originally from the Solingen area of Germany; departed from England; landed in Philadelphia on July 1, 1736. Harle is correct.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally from the Solingen area of Germany; departed from England; landed in Philadelphia on July 1, 1736. Harle is correct.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Clement age 26 and his brother Peter, who were both married were accompanied by Heinrich an unmarried cousin on the voyage to the colonies. They did indeed leave from Soligen Germany after spending five years there changing their trade from making knives and blades to blacksmithing as required by the German Craft Guilds. They sailed on the HMS Harle owned by Ralph Harle of London and arriving in the port of Philadelphia or or about August 31, 1736. On September 1, 1736 they being German immigrants signed an "Oath of Allegiance" to England and allowed to stay. There are no known records indicating that the Studebakers came as "Indentured Servatns" which basically means they PAID THEIR OWN WAY. In December 1736 there are records indicating that the Studebakers applied for a land grant of 400 acres (200 acres each) in what is now Berks County PA. This land grant was applied for by Clement and Peter as Heinrich chose to go further West. That's another story for another time. Clement and Peter never followed thru with this land grant application for some unknown reason but did apply for a grant further west which was granted. I know about that grant and it's location as they both settled on their granted ground. Also the Studebakers made many friends on the HARLE including the Hager family who were the founders of Hagerstown MD where Peter eventually moved to before moving further west. As many know, the Studebaker Brothers were 4TH generation Americans and decendents of Clement. It is ironic that the first 100 years of the family history were spent in Pennsylvania very near to the site of the 44th International Meet. Come join us in Lancaster in September and learn more of the early Studebaker family history. If you have any questions let me know.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Clement age 26 and his brother Peter, who were both married were accompanied by Heinrich an unmarried cousin on the voyage to the colonies. They did indeed leave from Soligen Germany after spending five years there changing their trade from making knives and blades to blacksmithing as required by the German Craft Guilds. They sailed on the HMS Harle owned by Ralph Harle of London and arriving in the port of Philadelphia or or about August 31, 1736. On September 1, 1736 they being German immigrants signed an "Oath of Allegiance" to England and allowed to stay. There are no known records indicating that the Studebakers came as "Indentured Servatns" which basically means they PAID THEIR OWN WAY. In December 1736 there are records indicating that the Studebakers applied for a land grant of 400 acres (200 acres each) in what is now Berks County PA. This land grant was applied for by Clement and Peter as Heinrich chose to go further West. That's another story for another time. Clement and Peter never followed thru with this land grant application for some unknown reason but did apply for a grant further west which was granted. I know about that grant and it's location as they both settled on their granted ground. Also the Studebakers made many friends on the HARLE including the Hager family who were the founders of Hagerstown MD where Peter eventually moved to before moving further west. As many know, the Studebaker Brothers were 4TH generation Americans and decendents of Clement. It is ironic that the first 100 years of the family history were spent in Pennsylvania very near to the site of the 44th International Meet. Come join us in Lancaster in September and learn more of the early Studebaker family history. If you have any questions let me know.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                      X