Photo wanted....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo wanted....

Could someone post a photo of a GT Hawk with its vinyl roof removed and area repainted? I've got a decision to make....
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

There are many on "Google Images"... just type in Studebaker GT hawk and check 'em out !

Comment

Like the car that Richard Quinn posted from the 1963 Chicago Auto Show?

sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Yes, sort of...I'm trying to avoid having to remove the stainless that crosses the top when a Sport Roof is used and would like to see one like that. I see that this '63 is painted...never saw one like that...is it a "one of"? Not sure what I want to do....had to remove the Sport Roof due to rust under the vinyl.
        Originally posted by Milaca View Post
        Like the car that Richard Quinn posted from the 1963 Chicago Auto Show?

Lou Van Anne
        62 Champ
        64 R2 GT Hawk
        79 Avanti II

Comment

My opinion is it will look fine with a gloss, off-White Painted area as long as you have the stainless moulding.

I am not a Fan of anything Black, but they were available in Black, so that is an option.

I have never seen one done that way correctly, with the FRONT portion painted.

It is VERY rare for a Studebaker Vinyl Roof to rust out, as the quality of the installation was far and above all the rest.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Lou, for what it is worth, I would redo your car as original. The black vinyl half-roof makes these Hawks look very elegant and very classy. I wish my Hawk had a vinyl half-roof, but it wasn't offered for the 1963 Hawks and therefor my car doesn't have the stainless roof trim for a half-roof either. By the way, are these half-roofs considered a Landau-roof?
            Install the new vinyl and it will probably last 50+ years if kept in the shade. I will thank you later when I buy the car from you.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Thanks, I tried, but no luck.
              Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
              There are many on "Google Images"... just type in Studebaker GT hawk and check 'em out !
              Lou Van Anne
              62 Champ
              64 R2 GT Hawk
              79 Avanti II

Comment

Thanks for the chuckle...why don't you buy it now and save me the heart ace. I agree, it's a classy look...I bought it because of the color/sport roof combination that I've wanted since high school days. I would like to keep it original, but removing the headliner (in perfect shape) is something I had hoped to avoid. I would love to talk with someone who has done this before I proceed further. Another crazy thought: Mine is an R2...anyone want to trade their an R1 with A/C for mine?
                Lou, for what it is worth, I would redo your car as original. The black vinyl half-roof makes these Hawks look very elegant and very classy. I wish my Hawk had a vinyl half-roof, but it wasn't offered for the 1963 Hawks and therefor my car doesn't have the stainless roof trim for a half-roof either. By the way, are these half-roofs considered a Landau-roof?
                Install the new vinyl and it will probably last 50+ years if kept in the shade. I will thank you later when I buy the car from you.
                Lou Van Anne
                62 Champ
                64 R2 GT Hawk
                79 Avanti II

Comment

Lou You could remove the mldg by gently prying it off the T bolt clips. Then remove the top part of them and seal so water will not get in pass them. Install new top and put the mldg back on using plastic clips like GM and Ford used. Would just be a matter of finding the right size clip.

Comment

By the way, are these half-roofs considered a Landau-roof?
                    Studebaker used the term 'Astro-Roof' for the vinyl top option on the 1964 G.T. Hawk.

Craig

Comment

Thanks, Would you have a photo of a "T bolt clip"....someone said that they have a nut on the inside...if so, wouldn't that nut drop onto the headliner?...or is it a clip that inserts? If you sealed the hole, how do you use the plastic clip.
                      Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                      Lou You could remove the mldg by gently prying it off the T bolt clips. Then remove the top part of them and seal so water will not get in pass them. Install new top and put the mldg back on using plastic clips like GM and Ford used. Would just be a matter of finding the right size clip.
                      Lou Van Anne
                      62 Champ
                      64 R2 GT Hawk
                      79 Avanti II

Comment

Yep, cutting off the top of the clip will drop the stem and nut into the headliner. Nothing special about them except a seal on the stem to hopefully keep water out. Put the vinyl back on. Have shop supply new vinyl in a closely matching grain, but of new materials. They can use a thin tool to raise the molding edge, stuff the edge under it, seal it and away you go. Who cares how the factory did it and with what vinyl they used at the time--how will it look, exactly like it did before--that's what you're after-right!

Comment

I agree with Rich that an off white would look better than black.
                          Looking at the picture in #3, I'd much rather have a single color for the entire car if the stainless trim is missing.

Comment

Yes the nut and a small piece of the stud will fall onto the headliner. But I don't think they would be heavy enough to ever give a problem. It's about the only other option other than removing the headliner. You could use new T clips to reinstall the mldg by using barrel clips in place of nuts with a spot of sealer just before you push the mldg on. Barrel clips that are built to lock the stud do a great job of holding. You almost cant get them to let go when you need to remove the clips. Just some options.

Comment

Talked to an auto upholstery shop today who has done excellent work for me in the past about replacing the vinyl top. He said he can do it. So what do you think I should be prepared to pay for removing the windshield, backing off the headliner, removing the molding, installing the top-he supplies the vinyl, reinstalling the molding, reinstalling the headliner and reinstalling the glass? (I lack the patience & the talent).
                              Lou Van Anne
                              62 Champ
                              64 R2 GT Hawk
                              79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                              X