2R5 Parking Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 2R5 Parking Lights

These parking lights do not work. I do not have them apart to see if the rust can be cleaned off, but it does not look good for them at first look.

What have others done with this?

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3375 small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1753408

Originally posted by Robert Crandall View Post
    These parking lights do not work. I do not have them apart to see if the rust can be cleaned off, but it does not look good for them at first look.

What have others done with this?

Thanks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61446[/ATTACH]
    Take the unit apart, unsolder the contact button from the pig tail. Be careful not to damage the little spring. Take the socket and soak in Ospho, or another de-rust and rust preventative product (desolves rust and leaves a protective coating so you don't have to paint). Reassemble unit, resolder the contact button, install in housing with new bulb. Presto! Don't forget to check to ensure you have power and a good clean ground.
    Bo

Comment

I like that. I will update after I have done it. Thanks.

Comment

NAPA has new sockets. I used them on my 1949 2R15.

Rick
        Kingman, AZ

Comment

Thanks! I have a CarQuest (just bought by Advance, so Advance interior with CarQuest still painted outside) whose crew helps me often. They matched the part numbers given above, and I picked them up yesterday.

Comment

Fixed! Thanks for the lead on the replacement lights. I am not quite finished yet because they will not turn on with the switch, so I have some tracing to do. That may have been why the old ones did not work, but the bulbs were rusted into the sockets and did not come out until I cut the old sockets apart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3384.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1712274

Comment

Looking good! Is your headlight switch bad?
              Rick
              Kingman, AZ

Comment

The switch is good. It works the rear lights in the parking light position. I am sure it is a loose or rusted connection somewhere. They come on when I run a jumper wire from the battery to the terminal at the radiator support wall. I just have a little tracing to do. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X