• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifty

Click image for larger version

Name:	Champ shift pattern.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	1753397 I don't know if you can see it. Couldn't get a clear picture. 1st-2nd 5th OD & R are all up. 3rd-4th are down. Is this a special shift pattern and for what purpose ? I suppose it's a NP 435. Who made it ? The tag is missing. Thanks Roy

Normal shift pattern for the 5 speed overdrive New Process transmissions used in Studebaker trucks.

Comment

and for all regular driving, 1st and 2nd are not needed - 1st would really only be needed if you were either in a slow race or pulling a building off its foundation...

Comment

It appears to be on a Champ Truck Glove Box Door, so it would not have the Band Parking Brake as used on heavier "C" Cab Transtars. It's a New Process 540 Overdrive 5 Speed. It requires the rare very heavy V8 Clutch Housing.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          It appears to be on a Champ Truck Glove Box Door, so it would not have the Band Parking Brake as used on heavier "C" Cab Transtars. It's a New Process 540 Overdrive 5 Speed. It requires the rare very heavy V8 Clutch Housing.
          At one time, I thought I just had to have a 5th-over. Then, I drove a short-box half-ton with one and that cured me forever. Wrong ratios for a pickup, slow shifting and noisy on the highway.

It requires the rare very heavy V8 Clutch Housing.
          While gathering parts for the swap I never did, I garnered one of those unobtaniums. If you are planning a swap, PM me, and to be hoped you're close; as Rich says, heavier than the hubs of hell.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Working...
          X