Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $55,000 Champ pickup???

Dreamer? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Studeba...m=272514274426
    Better buy, but still pretty high- http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Studeba...m=332089227025
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Second one looks like a good deal. Hard to duplicate to that level at that cost.

Agree the first seller is dreaming.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I like the second truck better as well.. Both are very cool trucks and love the color .. The 5speed was available on short box Champs? I always thought it was only available on the longer wheel base trucks
      Love my Lark

Comment

The second truck is well done and has some nice features, like the 5-speed. I think they underrated the horsepower though. With a 4bbl it should be generating more like 190-195 hp. The price is a bit high, however, I recently saw one of these in about the same condition but with a 6-cylinder go for much more at auction. I think someone who really wants one of these great trucks but does not want to have to do anything to it but drive it, this would be a fair price.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I have known about the second truck since a relative bought it in about 1995. Here is the write up about it on the '64 Champ registry: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...622#post875622

Comment

Originally posted by Jett289 View Post
            I like the second truck better as well.. Both are very cool trucks and love the color .. The 5speed was available on short box Champs? I always thought it was only available on the longer wheel base trucks
            5-speed OD became available on all trucks effective with the 63-64 8E series. That said, a few were apparently so equipped even before that for special orders.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
              The second truck is well done and has some nice features, like the 5-speed. I think they underrated the horsepower though. With a 4bbl it should be generating more like 190-195 hp.
              Yes and no. My 8E spec book shows 178 hp (@4500 rpm) for an 8E7 equipped with a 289 and 4-bbl, and 192 hp (@4100 rpm) for an 8E40 with 289 and 4-bbl. Since both truckss were available with the same compression ratios, I assume there were some slight differences in carburetion.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Seems like for $55,000 they could have rechromed the dash bezels and not covered the data plate with thick paint. The 2nd truck has had its bed narrowed too. I like that one much better, esp. For the money.
                sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
                1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
                1959 4E2 4spd, TT
                1963 8E28 GSA order
                1963 8E5 SOLD!
                1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

The first one has to be a typo but the second one isn't that far out of line for what has been done to it. If it was a chev or ford 64 done that nice it would be gone in a heart beat.

Comment

I, too, favor the second truck and it's got an interior I could live with. Too much orange in the first truck!

Comment

I think the offers on the first truck will fall short of the second one. I think the upholstery in the first one looks like it belongs in a Chevy.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

You're right on that assumption… The '64 reminds me somewhat of my old T-Cab which was a great work truck. Equipped with a 289/Powershift from a, (I believe), '63 GT Hawk. Though most prefer the short beds, I like the long bed as you can lay 4x8 sheets of plywood and still close the tailgate.

Ahhh… To be young again!

Comment

On the first truck, the beauty rings look out of place on the all paint trim truck.

On the second truck the chrome fairly blinds me! I think I'd have to put in a car grill. Also on such a nice truck the bed looks kindof grubby.

Both very nice trucks though.

What's with the utility truck orange? Is that a factory color?
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                            ....On the second truck the chrome fairly blinds me! I think I'd have to put in a car grill. Also on such a nice truck the bed looks kindof grubby....
                            Your comment about a car grille brought back sad memories. The original owner of my 8E7 had converted the front panel to one from a '63 Lark and it worked well. Unfortunately the truck met a sad end in 1983 when it was involved in a bad collision. Like GrumpyOne's truck, the previous owner had also installed a Powershift. The truck was built with a five speed, but he had so much trouble with the clutch linkage that he decided to make the switch to automatic.
                            Attached Files
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

That truck looked handsome with the car grill, eh?
                              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                              X