1953 -54 Fender question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 -54 Fender question

I am trying to find out if the back area behind the wheel well on the 53 sedan would be the same as the coupe. I need the back 16" or so of the fender. I do not need the front. I want to cut straight down and repair my coupe. The classic stuff is not big enough. Would a sedan fender work. I know it is shorter but would the back line up. Easier to find a sedan fender.
    Jim
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Nope.
    The C/K bodies are shorter (top to bottom). You may be able to use parts of it, but not as a whole.

Mike

Comment

I say no you can't,look similar from a distance only.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Jim,
        Can you share a photo or two of the area that needs repaired?
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

It is about 20 " from the back. It includes the vent. Put it to the magnet test. A lot of bondo.

62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Here's an example of the benefit of starting with something that is rusted out but never previously repaired.
            What I started with looked worse than this. Only after heating out all the old Bondo was it revealed the trailing end had been patched and welded over top of the original rusted out fender; a sufficient cosmetic repair for the period but certain invitation to the fender killing oxidation of such repairs.
            These models are worth spending some effort on. Daunting as it may appear, I utilized the Classic Enterprise patches for both the trailing edge and vent areas of my '53 and, with some thought and patience, brought both front fenders back to practically better than factory.
            Some patience and fabrication skills will be required; and results may vary.
            My advice is that you heat out all the Bondo; evaluate the remainder of good steel and revisit a plan. I wish I had started with what you've got.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P7260094.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	1711973
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Just buy some thin and build your own it's not rocket science.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by swvalcon; 01-12-2017, 01:42 AM.

Comment

I was given some donor fenders the other day. Both rears and the left front. They should work to graft too. I just was looking for a right front.
                62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by lelshaddai View Post
                  I was given some donor fenders the other day. Both rears and the left front. They should work to graft too. I just was looking for a right front.
                  I'm sorry, but I don't understand. If you already have three fenders that will also work to graft with why do you need another?

Comment

I still need to be able to fix the right front. Missing the patch fender for that.
                    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by lelshaddai View Post
                      I still need to be able to fix the right front. Missing the patch fender for that.
                      Oh ok, I thought you were just trying to repair the pictured left front. If all your fenders are that bad, how are the rockers. It sounds like you need new fenders, repop rears are available. Any curved sheet, of flat sheet you can curve should work as a patch.

Comment

Jim If you can come up with a good rust free door you can build rust panels out of that. Take a grinder and grind off the edge of the door so the pinch weld on the edge lets go all the way around the door and remove the outer skin like you where going to put a new panel on the door. Now with the skin removed you can use half of the outer panel for one side and the other half will fit the other side. Steve

Comment

I was shocked but the rockers are in good shape.
                          62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Except it might be a shame to cut up a "rust free' door.

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                            Jim If you can come up with a good rust free door you can build rust panels out of that. Take a grinder and grind off the edge of the door so the pinch weld on the edge lets go all the way around the door and remove the outer skin like you where going to put a new panel on the door. Now with the skin removed you can use half of the outer panel for one side and the other half will fit the other side. Steve
                            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I have N.O.S C/K front fenders (expensive) and good used rust free fenders for pickup only when it warms up.

Robert Kapteyn
                              studebaker@mac.com

Comment

Working...
                              X