Rear end identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear end identification

My 56 sky hawk rear end has a 44 cast on the side of the main chunk. It has a tag on the rear that denotes 3-31 ratio. It also has a tag on the other side that is a large T. Just wondering if dana 44 twin traction or not.
    Attached Files

It MAY be a TT with the "T" Tag, as you never know what year the current Axle may be.
    The '56 CARS did not have a a TT from the Factory.

Just poke your finger in the Fill Hole, if the Limited Slip Case is very close to the rear cover it definitely IS a Twin Traction.

If you do not know it's former care, it is best to Drain it and refill with API GL-5 80/90 Gear Lube and IF it's a TT, add a 4 Oz. Bottle of Friction Modifier regardless of what it may say on the GL-5 Bottle.

You will need a new Model 44 Diff. Cover Gasket for the job.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-09-2017, 11:40 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Another way is to jack up the rear axle so both wheels are off the ground, then rotate one side. If the other side rotates the same direction then it's a TT, opposite & it's a plain jane open rear.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I haven't seen that many rear ends but the ones I have seen the
        ratio tag had either the number of teeth on the ring gear and the pinion
        or the actual ratio but not both. Is that a normal tag to have both?

Comment

Paul, that issue is YEAR dependant. I am not sure of the year but the later ones maybe '62 or '63 and on, do have Both.
          The earliest rear Axles have only the Tooth count.

But also remember that the '53 or earlier to 1956 Dana's have both the Diff. Drain Plug and the Wheel Bearing Grease Plug at the back of the Bearing Flange.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The tag on the axle in my '62 GT only has the axle ratio. I have a new loose axle that came from Newman-Altman 35 plus years ago, it was under the PO's work bench complete with shipping tag, that has both tooth count and ratio on it.

Comment

Thanks for the help, It is great to have this knowledge available to the group.

Comment

Working...
              X