1961 Lark Radio Antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1961 Lark Radio Antenna

I'm in search of an original radio antenna for my 1961 Lark 4 door wagon. The one that cam with the car was horribly mangled and the body shop just threw it out (I wish they hadn't). I'm trying to avoid drilling a larger hole in the fender for one of those universal antennas that are sold on SI - does anybody here have a restored or good used antenna that will fit my car?

Albert

I may just have one.... At a point not long ago I had several NOS complete units. What I have may "not" have the special chrome washer, tho I think SI sells them (?)

Comment

Roy Valdez (a poster on this forum) rebuilds and sells roll-up antennas.

When you replace the antenna, you should adjust the antenna trimmer on the radio. This should be done every time a radio gets serviced, or a different radio is put in the car, or a different antenna is installed. This tunes the radio to match the unique electrical characteristics of the car and antenna. This maximizes station reception and minimizes extraneous noise. This will NOT eliminate spark plug or generator noise, but may reduce it somewhat.

Adjusting the antenna trimmer
      1. Install the radio in the vehicle and hook up the antenna
      2. Locate the antenna trimmer
      a. It’s usually a screw adjustment near the antenna jack
      3. Wait until after dark
      4. Warm up the radio for 15-20 minutes so it is stable
      5. Tune the radio to a WEAK station on the high end of the band – 1400 or higher, not a strong station poorly tuned
      6. Turn the volume down as low as possible, but still audible
      7. Adjust the trimmer for maximum volume
      8. Try it again on another weak station high on the band
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks Jack! I ended up locating one out here on the West Coast. My '61 wagon has really come a long way since we last spoke, btw - it's finally drivable!

Comment

I just happened to locate an antenna from a guy in Arizona - I may need this antenna to be restored however. I'll check it in a bit. Thank you for the advice on adjusting the antenna trimmer. I'll be sure to follow those instructions once I put the antenna in.

Comment

Try mystudebaker.com I'm pretty sure we've got NOS of the standard antenna and the internally controlled type.

Comment

Working...
            X