Order of assembly at Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Order of assembly at Studebaker

Has anyone written an article about the typical order that Studebaker followed when building a car? I sure would like to know, in detail, what they started with and in what order the subassemblies came together. I've never seen any article of it at all. It would be very informative.

Also, did it vary much from model to model (excluding the Avanti, of course)? Was it the same as all other manufacturers? American Motors, I'm pretty sure, would have had to do things differently because the cars were uni-body.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Find the September 16, 1946 issue of Life magazine. There is a one-page flow-chart of Studebaker's assembly line shown: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...tember-16-1946

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
      Has anyone written an article about the typical order that Studebaker followed when building a car? I sure would like to know, in detail, what they started with and in what order the subassemblies came together. I've never seen any article of it at all. It would be very informative.

Also, did it vary much from model to model (excluding the Avanti, of course)? Was it the same as all other manufacturers? American Motors, I'm pretty sure, would have had to do things differently because the cars were uni-body.
      It 'varied' considerably with the 1956 Golden Hawk model!

Comment

The order depends on the year and model. For example; for some the hood was with the body shell and for some it wasn't.
        Last edited by studegary; 01-08-2017, 10:31 AM. Reason: removed a comma
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

This brings on another question....
          Early on, Studebaker used to make their own body stampings. In the mid fifties to the end, what did they make in South Bend and what was made by Budd.. and whoever else???
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I am pretty sure the Bodies, Frames and most Wheels were all Budd, but guessing that Fenders, Hoods, Decklids & Doors could be done in House.
            I wonder if there is ANYONE alive that actually KNOWS.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Was told by former employees at Body Plant all body parts were stamped at Studebaker including the floor pans unless they were running so hard they couldn't keep up and then large parts from Bud would be brought in by train.

Comment

Working...
              X