"EXPRESSLY BUILT FOR" Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "EXPRESSLY BUILT FOR" Plates

Can anyone identify the model and year associated with the "white background" nameplate in this picture. This nameplate has a depressed background that has been enamelled white - much higher quality that the ones that I've seen for GT Hawks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1293.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1753316

Whilst I'm not sure of the model-year run for the GranTurismo Hawks, my best guess would be '61-'64 as there were no more Hawks after the'64 model year. As to the model, it's right there on the tag, GranTurismo.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
      Whilst I'm not sure of the model-year run for the GranTurismo Hawks, my best guess would be '61-'64 as there were no more Hawks after the'64 model year. As to the model, it's right there on the tag, GranTurismo.
      Then it would be 1962-1964, not 1961.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'm not sure what the 61 plates looked like but they're mentioned in this ad.

Comment

These Advertising Agencies get a little carried away with their Ads sometimes, don't they!

This "Implies" that the CAR Serial Number is on the Plaque, when in fact the Plaque Number is what is on it, first come first served and Numbered when and IF the Dealer or the Owner Registers it.

Other Ads say the '61 Hawk is a Limited Production Model limited to, what was it 5000 I think.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've always wondered if it was for the '61 Hawk. Sometime in the 80's, I think, I was in South Bend and visited Avanti Motors. My '63 Hawk was parked beside the building and was being scrutinized by a gentleman. As I approached, he informed me that he had a new grille shell like mine and was I interested. Of course I was since the '63 shells were NLA. I followed him to his home in the city. He brought out from his house a new '62 grille shell. I showed him the differences between the '62 & '63 and that it wasn't what I was looking for. He showed me several boxes of Studebaker documents that he didn't know what to do with them. After providing him with some contact information, he gave me that engraving plate for my trouble. I don't recall whose documents he said these were, but vaguely recall maybe an advertising or sales executive of Studebaker.
            Someone else would have acquired that '62 grille shell in the '80s and may be able to identify who had it.

Comment

I have plate# 0911 on my '61 Hawk.

(also have a blank repop plate...just in case)

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I have plate # 3929 on my '61. [wink] A repro done by someone here on the forum.[Blackhawk61-? IIRC] Any way,the '61s were gold,with black lettering. Don't have a pic as my car is in storage.
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

52hawk, does your '61 plate look like the "ELMER DANCH" one on the illustration pictured on the application form in post #1?
                  Last edited by WCP; 01-04-2017, 08:22 AM.

Comment

DEEPNHOCK, Jeff, can you post a photo of your '61 plate as well as the blank? It may be that this silver and white blank plate was part of a style/cost study by Studebaker, and not selected for use due to cost.

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
                      52hawk, does your '61 plate look like the "ELMER DANCH" one on the illustration pictured on the application form in post #1?
                      No, nothing like it. I think I had my colors reversed.They were actually more black background with gold letters.I wish I had a pic of mine. But,there is a pic of the plaque for 1961 on page 28 of the August 2016 issue of Turning Wheels.
                      Last edited by 52hawk; 01-04-2017, 10:01 AM.
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

52hawk, thanks for that reference. The '61 is totally different in wording composition, with no reference to "GRAN TURISMO". Possibly this SS/WHITE plate was prepared for the 1st auto show cars.

Comment

Here is the original plaque for the '61 Hawk (#1 below). Note specific number 0548. I have a 2nd similar plaque but it did not materialize in a cursory search. For comparison a '62 plaque #2.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7247.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1711867 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7243.jpg
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1711868
                          Richard Quinn
                          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks, Richard. The '62 plaque appears to be the same as my blank, with the exception or the base metal. Mine appears to be polished stainless steel with raised lettering and border or depressed white enamel background.

Comment

The really bad thing is the car in the ad in post #4 isn't even a GT. It doesn't even appear to be a K.

Comment

Working...
                              X