Admin Building Doors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin Building Doors?

What's happening at the Administration Building? This EBAY seller has 30 wood doors for sale. Not good.

I wonder were all the scripted 'S' monogrammed brass door handles went!!?!?!

Craig

Comment

If this architectural salvage dealer is like many I have visited, the door hardware is removed and sold separate. I'm rehanging a vintage door that I found years ago and I have to go to local dealers for period correct (pre WW I) door hardware.

Jeff T.
      \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
      The Replacements.

Comment

I have heard it said that the top floor is still the same as it was in the twenties. Since this is a mortised door, I wonder if this is from that floor? I also wonder what this scrap dealer is doing with doors from that building? Is the City of South Bend up to some skulduggery? One would think that if the building was being gutted there would be some kind of public announcement? This fellow has a lot of nice stuff, but the prices are steep!

Last edited by studeclunker; 01-02-2017, 10:42 PM.
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          I wonder were all the scripted 'S' monogrammed brass door handles went!!?!?!

Craig
          I think you mean door knobs?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0480 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1711834
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
            I think you mean door knobs?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61024[/ATTACH]
            I do!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
              What's happening at the Administration Building? This EBAY seller has 30 wood doors for sale. Not good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-36-P...QAAOSwzJ5Xchrh
              Michael, where does it say these are from the Administration Building? The ad says they are from "The Studebaker Offices" in South Bend. Heavens, there have been a lot of "Studebaker Offices" in South Bend that weren't necessarily located in the Administration Building.

Understand, I haven't been inside the Adm Bldg for a couple years, so they may indeed be from there. I'm just cautioning against the assumption that's where they came from. (Heck, they are right here in Indianapolis; I guess I could drive downtown and find the place and interview the sellers, but I need to be working on the March Co-Operator for Turning Wheels right now.) BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I do not know for sure Bob but the sellers other items that relate to Studebaker are advertised as coming from the Studebaker Headquarters in South Bend.

Comment

No one is scrapping the Administration Building and all is intact except some damage to the face of one of the clocks on the mezzanine and graffiti done by vandals living inside for a while. Looking rough inside though.

Comment

I do not know for sure Bob but the sellers other items that relate to Studebaker are advertised as coming from the Studebaker Headquarters in South Bend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Hard...QAAOSwgtJXTyC4
                    Interesting, Michael; thanks. I wish those pieces had some firm identification as being of Studebaker origin. I could drive to that place in about 25 minutes! BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for the update!! Glad to hear that!

Originally posted by tjanowia View Post
                      No one is scrapping the Administration Building and all is intact except some damage to the face of one of the clocks on the mezzanine and graffiti done by vandals living inside for a while. Looking rough inside though.

Comment

I agree Bob! How about a door with "Sherwood Egbert - President" on it?

Comment

I messaged the seller on EBAY about the doors. This was his reply:

Thanks for checking out our eBay store. These doors are from the Studebaker headquarters/admin building. I was able to salvage about 150 doors and a bunch of the old milk glass globes for their old lighting. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks again and have a great week!

Comment

I messaged the seller on EBAY about the doors. This was his reply:

Thanks for checking out our eBay store. These doors are from the Studebaker headquarters/admin building. I was able to salvage about 150 doors and a bunch of the old milk glass globes for their old lighting. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks again and have a great week!
                            Hmmm....I hadn't heard of any salvagers being allowed in to remove anything, Mike, but I haven't been all that close to the situation, either, so who knows? Thanks. BP

Comment

Just emailed Kevin Smith's people who have the key to the building and was told nothing should have been removed from there and if it was it was taken illegally. They're going over to check on the building to make sure everything is okay.

Comment

Working...
                              X