Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Perfect day today for getting things done before the cold snap hits in a couple of days.

My 'ol 9N has refused to start for a few days, so I decided to get it down the road to a repair/auto salvage shop about a mile from me. It was not an easy task, as the blade was in the down position, so I could not roll the tractor around. I backed the truck up to the Quonset back door, and chained the tractor to the truck. Very gently, I pulled the tractor backwards through the door, getting out every now and then to adjust the steering wheel on the tractor, so as not to scuff the unit on the door frame.

Dragged it just outside the shop, with the blade dragging the ground, so that the tractor would not roll into the truck as I pulled it onto a slight downward slopping embankment. Got out of the truck, put the tractor in gear, and disconnected the tractor from the truck. Got a come-along, and used it to raise the blade on the tractor, so that when I took it out of gear it would roll to a spot where I could again hook it up to the truck.

Got back on the tractor, pushed in the clutch, and down the hill we go, backwards! Brought it to a stop, hooked the truck back up to it, and pulled the tractor up to the driveway, where I could load it onto the trailer.

Hooked the trailer to the truck, backed up to the tractor, and discovered that my electric winch did not want to allow the cable to roll out.

Got another come-along, and chain, and manually winched the tractor up onto the trailer. By now, I'm out of wind, and feel like I spent 10 minutes in the ring with Cassius Clay.

Up the road we go, to JW's Auto Salvage and repair shop. JW is an absolute expert on fixing and rebuilding anything electrical. He will work on whatever you bring him, new, or old.

When I entered his shop, I was tickled to see what he was working on today:

My tractor will fit right in!

That done, I loaded up the lawn mower, which also needs mechanical attention. Headed to the car wash and gave the mower and trailer a good washing, and dropped the mower off at another shop.

I'm wore slap out, but so proud that I managed to accomplish all of this with nothing more than sore knees and shoulders, and one bleeding finger.

Got home, and guess what... the tractor was no longer blocking the Stude in the shop. 69 balmy degrees, and the car has a coat of that nasty dust that comes from the furnace when you light it for the first time of the season.

Stude content:

Took the Stude for its second 50 mile run over the extended week-end, and gave her a bath:

Life is good!
    Last edited by Studedude; 01-02-2017, 05:03 PM.
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Good read. And your car is still lookin' good. Thanks Dave.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Sounds like a productive Day, what Year is Your 9N ? I've got a 2N that needs some attention, I'll con My Brother - In - Law to get things in order one of these Days.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

There's no doubt about it.....that '54 must really turn some heads!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          There's no doubt about it.....that '54 must really turn some heads!
          It, sometimes, makes my head spin!
          sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
            Good read. And your car is still lookin' good. Thanks Dave.
            Thanks for the kind words, Skip!
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
              Sounds like a productive Day, what Year is Your 9N ? I've got a 2N that needs some attention, I'll con My Brother - In - Law to get things in order one of these Days.
              Not sure about the exact year of my 9N. They were in production through 1947, I think. At any rate, it's at least as old as I am, and is, generally, in better shape than me.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1351.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1711828
              Last edited by Studedude; 01-02-2017, 05:22 PM.
              sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

To the best of My knowledge,the 9N would be from 1939 - 41. 2N from 1942 - 45 "because I was told 2Ns were War time Tractors". as for 46,47 I think they went back to 9N ? I was also told that the 39s "only" had Aluminum front Grille Panels.

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                Not sure about the exact year of my 9N. They were in production through 1947, I think. At any rate, it's at least as old as I am, and is, generally, in better shape than me.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]61017[/ATTACH]
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Neat train-car in the background of your car. Love the old jeep at the mechanic's place.
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                    Neat train-car in the background of your car. Love the old jeep at the mechanic's place.
                    The train car and depot are part of our Territorial Plaza in our little town, and the old DX service station serves as our car club's clubhouse.

Liking old things as you do, you might enjoy this site:

sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

Usually I go "if that car was mine I'd change that, this thing &..." but yours is perfect even for me Dave!

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                        Usually I go "if that car was mine I'd change that, this thing &..." but yours is perfect even for me Dave!
                        Thank you, that's very kind!
                        sigpic
                        Dave Lester

Comment

Oh, no problem but I also did something I SHOULD have asked you about first, me being inspired: I posted that pic of your car on the facebook-group "Studebakers of Scandinavia" as I thought more people ought to see it...
                          I hope you don't mind, I got carried away.

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                            Oh, no problem but I also did something I SHOULD have asked you about first, me being inspired: I posted that pic of your car on the facebook-group "Studebakers of Scandinavia" as I thought more people ought to see it...
                            I hope you don't mind, I got carried away.
                            Yep, I just hate it when things like that happen. I appreciate your appreciation of the work we put into the '54.
                            sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                              The train car and depot are part of our Territorial Plaza in our little town, and the old DX service station serves as our car club's clubhouse.

Liking old things as you do, you might enjoy this site:

http://slauener.tripod.com/id48.html
                              Very nice and informative site Dave... Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X