Interesting Studebaker sightings from 1964 Indy 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Studebaker sightings from 1964 Indy 500

I happened upon this while laying around sick and bored, surfing the web. There are several Studebaker sightings in the first 15-20 minutes. Unfortunately the video does include the Dave McDonald-Eddie Sachs fatal crash on lap 2, so you might want to quit watching at the green flag.

This is sort of a test run. I will be deleting this video and adding a more complete version once the project is finished.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Read about BP's 'close call' here at that!! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...sponsered-cars

Craig

Comment

I figured it had been posted somewhere. For reasons I haven't figured out yet, I can only go back 7 pages of previous threads in this forum.
      Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        Read about BP's 'close call' here at that!! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...sponsered-cars Craig
        Craig, I think you mean Post #6 here:

BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

1964 was the first time ever the Indy 500 was halted (red flagged) due to an accident...............A minor but truly unfortunate sidelight of that tragedy was Bobby Unser's new Ferguson four wheel drive NOVI, (Studebaker STP Special #9), being knocked out on that terrible second lap.

In reality, this was the first (and last) year that this innovative 4wd race car had a chance of winning the race.

Comment

Regarding the original link in Post#1:

This is some of the best footage I've ever seen of the accident. Someone obviously had a video camera within a few feet of where my younger brother and I were seated and the Speedway used that video to help analyze the incident.

The subject camera position from our stands is right at 26:20 through about 26:38, give or take a few seconds. We were no more than about 20 feet north (to the left) of where that person was shooting the video beginning at 26:20. As you can tell if you have ever been close to a raging fire, we easily felt the fire's heat, being that close to the source.

Then, hold on until about 28:19 and you'll see a Studebaker wrecker hauling off one of the STP cars. The Wrecker is lettered up with Pennsylvania Motor Inn, a large Indianapolis downtown hotel at the time.

Great video; 'brings back memories I'd just as soon not have. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yes, the wrecker is hauling off NOVI #9...its right front wheel having been torn off!...Unser was lucky to escape with minor burns, as another race car actually drove over him!

Comment

Yep, the video was posted in the link I posted which prompted your reply in post #6, referencing the thread you directly linked above of your firsthand account of the accident in person.

Craig

Comment

The good news for Studebaker at the '64 '500' was one of the three cars they entered actually DID finish the race, and that car was the #3 NOVI driven by Art Malone!

(This NOVI race car still exists! )

Comment

Working...
                  X