Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting '54 coupe with '56 dash to 12v -- what fuel sender to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Converting '54 coupe with '56 dash to 12v -- what fuel sender to use?

Thanks to the forum, I recently got a '56 Golden Hawk dash to put in my '54 Commander coupe. As part of changing the dash, I will convert the car to 12 volts. I have collected up virtually all the parts I will need for the conversion. But one remaining question, is what to do about the fuel tank sender. It will need to work with my '56 12v fuel gauge AND my '54 fuel tank. Studebaker International has "1549575, fuel sending unit, 1958-66 car." This would be a 12v sender, but will it attach to my '54 fuel tank?
    Pete R
    Woodbridge, VA
    1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

1549575 is what I have in my 61 hawk which is the same tank as your 54 I believe

I would ask the vendor you buy this from that question as if it does not work then you could return it
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

According to the parts manuals, the '54 tank and the '61 tank have different part numbers. But I also noticed that the same sending unit gasket was used from at least '51 through '58. And 1549575 fits '58-66. So it seems that the bolt pattern of 1549575 is the same as on my tank. I guess it will fit.
      Pete R
      Woodbridge, VA
      1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
      1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

Comment

I believe the bolt patterns (and gaskets) are pretty much standard for most cars of the era so don't use that as a guide for application of the sending unit. Depth of the tank would be the most important dimension. You can always use a 12 volt universal unit with an adjustable float arm.

Comment

Use a '56-'64 (C/K) 12V fuel sending unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete R View Post
            According to the parts manuals, the '54 tank and the '61 tank have different part numbers.
            The '54 and '61 tanks are different because the fuel pickups are in different locations. The sender mounting is the same. A universal Stewart Warner 12 volt sender should work, they're a bit tricky to set up but not too bad, but they're really sensitive so the gauge moves a lot when driving. But they're only about $30.

Comment

My 56 wagon had the fuel pickup tube run through the fuel sender, while most of the other tanks I've ever seen use a fuel pickup tube separate from the sender. THis may be the issue at hand. Does the 56 tank even have a pickup tube in the bottom of the tank?
              sals54

Comment

If someone needs a fuel sender with the pickup tube passing through it, any of the standard senders can be modified by drilling a hole in the appropriate location, bending up piece of 5/16" (or 3/8") steel fuel line, and soldering it in position.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  If someone needs a fuel sender with the pickup tube passing through it, any of the standard senders can be modified by drilling a hole in the appropriate location, bending up piece of 5/16" (or 3/8") steel fuel line, and soldering it in position.
                  I do this on most sending units, but for a return line to help with vapor lock.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                    My 56 wagon had the fuel pickup tube run through the fuel sender, while most of the other tanks I've ever seen use a fuel pickup tube separate from the sender. THis may be the issue at hand. Does the 56 tank even have a pickup tube in the bottom of the tank?
                    No, I believe this is why the '56-'57 has a different sending unit than those before '56 and '58 on. We replaced the tank in our '53 with one from a '56 parts car we had, and had to drill and add a pickup tube to the sender, it's easy.

Comment

Working...
                    X