Cruiser: '65 or '66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruiser: '65 or '66

A friend of mine just purchased what he and I had always thought was a 1965 Cruiser (It came from another member of our chapter.). The problem is that it is titled as a 1966. Do 1966 Cruisers have four or just two headlights? His has four. Here is the vin # C514420. We wanted some help from somebody here who might be able to figure out the real year of this car. Thanks in advance.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

No , all 66s have only 2 headlights . What's it got for an engine ?
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

again... some states registered a vehicle as of date of purchase/registration. This car may have been a holdover, or simply tagged in 66'. They did this in NY in 1963 from my experience. May not have been through every office....

Comment

The serial number is for a 1965 V-8.

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
          again... some states registered a vehicle as of date of purchase/registration. This car may have been a holdover, or simply tagged in 66'. They did this in NY in 1963 from my experience. May not have been through every office....
          Yep, my brother had a Renault Daulphine that was last built in '65 that was registered as a '67. Same with my Volvo 544S. Last built in '65 but register as a '66. What a pain too because at that time Calif. required smog test for all cars '66 and up. Seems to happen to a lot of orphan cars. Maybe not the actual manufacture going under, but leaving the country (hey, Studebaker did it in '65-'66), or cessation of that particular model.

I wonder if you could argue the point with the DMV to change the year???
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response that verifies what we were thinking. I am aware that some dealers sold cars with the years on the titles incorrect. That is one thing we were guessing was the original reason for the incorrect year on the title. Past dealings with the North Carolina DMV leads me to think it may be difficult to get the title changed. We'll see. Thanks again for the help.
            Last edited by JRoberts; 12-30-2016, 03:10 PM.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser

Comment

I think I would argue that some Cars always were sold in the Calendar Year BEFORE the year Model of the vehicle, and most or all States had no problem registering them as the correct (Next) Year, so WHY would they want to Register a Car as the year Model of the year first sold or registered?

Also, all New cars have the actual Day or Month and Year they were built right on the edge of the Door, but it is ALWAYS ignored and superseded by the VIN Number which always gives the actual Year MODEL for the Title!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Good luck going to your DMV. NJ DMV was the worst for years (in many ways) must admit it was better that last few times I went there.
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Years ago I bought a 1950 champion 2dr that was titled as a 1949 and by the engine number. The DMV changed it to the serial number and correct year when I showed them the problem. All I had to do was have a police check, like with out of state vehicles.

Comment

I wonder if a copy of the production order would help at the DMV? Something akin to the certificate of origin?
                    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

We discussed using a copy of the production order and that is an option that is being considered.
                      Thanks for the suggestion.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser

Comment

I can mail you copies of the Studebaker Service Letters that listed the starting serial numbers of the 1965 and 1966 models. Several people (including me) have used such documents to correct errors in their registrations in the past. Copies of these letters were originally sent by the corporation to the DMVs of all the states and provinces. Would need a mailing address.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

One of the 63 Avanti's that I owned was titled 64. I took it to the MVD in Nebraska and they changed it to 63 with no problem.

Denny L

Comment

My '48 M-5 was sold and titled in Michigan as a '49. It was retired to a barn 1956. In being third in line of possession I received and still have that original issued and never transferred 1949 title, as well as the original 1949 dealer Sales Receipt, totaling $995 including an optional horn and heater.

Anyone looking for an M-5 to restore? Can't be too many out there with the original paperwork.

Comment

Working...
                            X