No announcement yet.

62 Flight-O-Matic Type A or Type F?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 62 Flight-O-Matic Type A or Type F?

OK guys I am a little confused here, I need to top off my fluid in my transmission. My Studebaker manual says to use Type A. I was reading a couple of different threads here and they were saying to use Type F. What gives?? One guy was even talking about using Dextron III. I definitely don't want to be mixing different fluid types. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Weymouth

Topping off, may be a problem if you don't know what's in there now. Type A hasn't existed for 30 plus years, current equivalent is Dexron. Type F is also often used for firmer shifts. When in doubt as to what's in there, I'd go with Dexron/Mercon III or IV. A small amount of either is unlikely to hurt anything if just "topping off" yours. If you change the fluid and drain it anytime soon, make a choice and stick to it. Type F will provide slightly firmer shifts.

Comment

O'Riley Auto Parts has a Type A available, but you make a very good point. I don't know what is in there, the previous owner did a lot of interesting things. I have used the Valvoline multi vehicle Dexron/Mercon in my BMW Z3 as the original fluid is not available (come to find out the transmission was made by GM of France). Thanks for the tip. Have you ever used a product called Lubeguard red ? Thanks again.

Comment

There is no longer a standard for Type A transmission fluid. Flightomatics are relatively insensitive to fluid type. Type F is no longer used in any new cars that I know of. I have mixed Dexron and Type F with no ill effects in Flightomatics. I wouldn't recommend doing that in a Ford transmission designed to use Type F.

It's all oil. About a 10-weight oil, with a lot of detergents, and some friction modifiers specifically aimed at enhancing the operation of oil-wetted clutches. The very first automatic transmissions did use 10-weight motor oil, because dedicated ATF was not yet on the market.

On a complete fill, or with a newly rebuilt FOM, I would recommend using the current Dexron/Mercon product. Because Type F, will eventually cease to be sold everywhere.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The December 2016 Turning Wheels Co-Operator P12-13 lists acceptable AT and PS fluids.

Comment

The previous owner can tell you when last the tranny was serviced..... if not, I'd drain the entire system and go Dexron III/IV.... piece of mind...

Comment

If performing Post#6, don't forget to drain the torque converter too.
              Bill

Comment

Unfortunately the previous owner died a couple of years ago and his son was selling his collection. I would have liked to have talked to him, he probably would have had a wealth of information. The gentleman had 14 Studebakers. For now I think I will go with the Dexron/Mercon to top it off as the fluid looks new. Thanks everyone, the information is greatly appreciated.

Comment

I used type F in everything for firmer shifts. This worked well in GM T-350/400 transmissions. I certainly used type F in Ford and Studebaker transmissions. A B&M engineer recommended this to me years ago. I will stick to it until type F is no longer is on the market.
                  james r pepper

Comment

I'm with Jim. I have used type F successfully in all my Studebakers. Transmissions, blowers, and power steering.

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by wkwayland View Post
                      O'Riley Auto Parts has a Type A available, but you make a very good point. I don't know what is in there, the previous owner did a lot of interesting things. I have used the Valvoline multi vehicle Dexron/Mercon in my BMW Z3 as the original fluid is not available (come to find out the transmission was made by GM of France). Thanks for the tip. Have you ever used a product called Lubeguard red ? Thanks again.

Dexron II or III for older cars will provide smoother shifts and Type F will provide firmer shifts and possibly slightly better mpg.

Your transmission using synthetic fluid of either type will love it and you! My preferred fluid if your tranny does not leak as it is more pricey. It's all I use these days and it does make a difference.

Lubeguard is a well regarded product especially with the transmission shops. I'm a regular user of that product as well...

Comment

I would have to agree with Jim Pepper in that I've been using Type F in my Lark VI auto transmission. I also like the firmer shifts. Also, this subject came up during a Cooperator Session at a couple of National Meets and it was recommended that I use the Type F in my Stude. So far, it's working great.
                        Rog
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                        X