Avanti II Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti II Question

Well here I go, picked up the Avanti 4 months ago and there were some parts missing, mainly the hood latch dovetails and linkage rods for the latch. I have been doing my best to find the parts needed with no luck... So has anyone ever used hood pins to latch down their hood??????? The car is basically just a driver in my opinion and nothing more.
    Any thoughts besides wanting to string me up by my toe's for even thinking about doing this.
    59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
    51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
    27 Ford Roadster
    Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies

I don't like the idea, nor the looks of drilling holes in the hood. Someone must have those parts you need.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead49 View Post
      Well here I go, picked up the Avanti 4 months ago and there were some parts missing, mainly the hood latch dovetails and linkage rods for the latch. I have been doing my best to find the parts needed with no luck... So has anyone ever used hood pins to latch down their hood??????? The car is basically just a driver in my opinion and nothing more.
      Any thoughts besides wanting to string me up by my toe's for even thinking about doing this.
      You should be able to get the parts through Myers Studebaker in Duncan Falls, Ohio or Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors in Wixom, Mi. Just Google either.

As far as the hood pins, Why not. Should be easy to mount by building a plate to span the opening for the lower latch and just drill the hood and use the pins. I'd add a reinforcing plate where the pin comes through the top of the hood to minimize chipping. I considered doing that to my 74 when I built the cowl air hood. I was going to use the Mustang style that doesn't have a pin but a twist cap. They are a more expensive and I haven't given up the idea yet, either.

Here's the two styles I'm considering but nothing wrong with the pins either.

The low-profile AeroCatch makes other hood pins obsolete! Just push the lever down to engage the hidden pin and locking catch in one motion. Push the latch button and pull the lever to release.

It's your car and money so it's your choice. Avanti, Bob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151028_135207.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1711723 My 74 is not exactly stock either
      Last edited by sweetolbob; 12-28-2016, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
        I don't like the idea, nor the looks of drilling holes in the hood.
        First, your car, your money, your decision. However, you did come here and ask for feedback.

JMHO, but most usually consider the best feature of the Avanti to be the smooth styling and few surface gee-gaws common back in the day. Then, we buy one and want to add pimples which might be seen as interrupting the smooth surface detailing of the hood?

I have been doing my best to find the parts needed with no luck.
        Do pins if you want them, but the needed hood lock/release parts are still available.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

If you can't find them elsewhere. I have some spares. PM me if interested.
          78 Avanti RQB 2792
          64 Avanti R1 R5408
          63 Avanti R1 R4551
          63 Avanti R1 R2281
          62 GT Hawk V15949
          56 GH 6032504
          56 GH 6032588
          55 Speedster 7160047
          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

The dovetails and associated parts are listed in the SI catalogue for Larks etc. #284526 etc.

Comment

I have seen them on Flea-bay at various times, Turning Wheels classifieds etc. They are around and not too pricey.

Better than knocking holes through a smooth and undamaged surface. Remember, that driver may be broken for parts and holes in the hood lower its value at that time.

Comment

[QUOTE=PackardV8;

most usually consider the best feature of the Avanti to be the smooth styling and few surface gee-gaws common back in the day. Then, we buy one and want to add pimples which might be seen as interrupting the smooth surface detailing of the hood?

Very well said!

Comment

Hood pins were typically used to guarantee that the hood on a "high performance" vehicle wouldn't blow open at high speeds. This is not an issue with the Avanti as the hood is hinged front. Another use of hood pins was on aftermarket fibreglass hoods that were too weak to be secured by a single center latch. Again, not an issue with the Avanti. IMHO, adding hood pins to an Avanti would be like using both a belt and suspenders. Some guys do it, but it looks a bit strange.
                  Jim Bradley
                  Lake Monticello, VA
                  '78 Avanti II
                  sigpic

Comment

Michigan Barn Find

Glad you were able to get it back to Indiana..Lookn' good after you got it cleaned up...
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

Jim

I went back to your original post about the car and see the hog troughs and frame appear to be good. I'd say with a little touch up and interior work the OP will have himself a nice driver. Looks very well bought to me. Cleaned up quite well.

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,
                        I agree...I think this is one "cheap" Avanti that's going to be very rewarding...
                        sigpic

Comment

I can not complain, 3 baths with the pressure washer, Mothers Clay Bar to remove the overspray, 3 different 3M buffing compounds. New water pump and thermostat, radiator cleaning. New fuel lines fuel sending unit, Minor tune up. Built a fan shroud and added a Derale 2500 cfm fan and controller. It has a few electrical issues where someone removed the overhead and attempted to wire up a push pull switch. I will be begging for a overhead console next. Again thanks for posting it.
                          51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
                          27 Ford Roadster

Comment

Everyone thanks for replying. No I could not even think about adding hood pins to such a work of art. Found the much needed parts through Nostalgic. Dan was helpful.
                            Every once in a while I have a Stupid Attack. just like when I was going to stuff a 396 in my Lark thinking the 259 was stuck when I first got it but was talked into coming to my irrational thinking by a Hudson guy.
                            51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
                            27 Ford Roadster

Comment

You know the best places to find the overhead switch console now. If yours is a real hack job, let me know, I just rewired mine and converted the wiper switch to fuel pump off/on but the headlight and parking still work as original. You will want to check the continuity of the wires from the overhead to the dash area to be sure they are not compromised or grounded. I can get to most of the wires yet as my dash is out and I would imagine there's little difference between my 74 and your's.

You may also find something of interest in these wiring diagrams. http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/...s/aec/aec.html

BTW, What's wrong with a 396 powered Lark? Scares the kiddies and impresses the locals too much.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X