Weasels in the Antarctic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weasels in the Antarctic

The Australian Antarctic Division use of Weasels for exploration in the '50's

Click on the photos on this page to get more Weasel shots.
    Australia claimed some 42 per cent of the Antarctic continent by the mid 1900s, but this ambitious claim was tenuous to say the least.
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Years ago a couple of our Melbourne members experienced the Weasels on their business trips down there & both dreamt of bringing a Weasel home. Alas,it remained a dream.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Enjoyed the history. Great to see Studebaker's in use.

Below: Did this Weasel just climb that steep hill or is it going to back down?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6681 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1711683
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60775[/ATTACH]
        Tell me if you have heard this joke before...."Is that Studebaker coming or going?"
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

When I worked as an expat on Kwajalein in the early 1970's, one of the guys in the photolab was a retired navy chief who spent time on Antarctica where he and others would knock off the tracks on a not-so-popular retired navy captain's weasel. The only reason that he brought that up is that I mentioned the name of Captain Finn Ronne and he almost went bonkers. Seemed that the captain was sort of a butt head that nobody liked...

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60775[/ATTACH]
            I don't have the info to answer that, so lets just take it as it went up.
            Matt
            Brisbane
            Australia
            sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

In 1962 I spent a few months living in a plywood hut close to the North Pole (the ice was a lot thicker then), and we had two Navy-owned Weasels that were used to ferry supplies to our camp from the landing strip that the Weasels had graded out on the sea ice. They were painted international orange for visibility. One had a hard top and the other was open. I rode in them several times, but never drove them, as the University of Alaska employed an Inuit mechanic who was responsible for them. It is my understanding that about a year after I left, one of them fell through thin ice and now lies on the bottom of the Arctic Ocean. The other was left behind when the camp was abandoned, and now is on the bottom of the Denmark Strait. Somewhere I have some color slides of the Weasels and will try to find them.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

I appreciate the historic look at the Weasel in action in the Antarctic (and Arctic as well). It is absolutely amazing how many jobs Weasels were put to work on after their war time duties.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Mine has a hand made top made from wood strips covered in canvas. On the wooden sides, if you get the light right, can be seen" Spokane Emergency rescue". This quite plausible as I bought it in a small town in Idaho, and not far away from Washington state.
                  Thanks for the post.
                  Bill

Comment

I missed one "By That Much" about 5 years ago in N Florida. Wish I'd bought it now. Needed tracks rebuilt, but otherwise in good shape.\
                    It was $2500 and I couldn't figure out how to load it, but I've figured that out now.... Of course the weasel is long gone.

Comment

Anybody know why the "production" Weasels run backwards as opposed to the prototypes I've seen in videos being tested in the snow

Comment

Working...
                      X