Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy summer solstice (or winter as the case may be)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy summer solstice (or winter as the case may be)!

love it! season-appropriate greetings to you and yours. Quentin.
    Attached Files

Where is that junk yard located?
    Looks like a good bullet to be removed, as well as the front bumper and grill inserts.
    Actually that car looks restorable if the floors aren't gone.

Comment

That tree is probably another 50 ft taller by now.....pics been around along time.
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
        Where is that junk yard located?
        Dunno - it's off a facebook site called All Things Vintage - worth a look - some excellent if tragic photos of nature taking over vehicles.

Comment

This photo is one I took in May 1991 at Yesterday's Cars and Parts on Noyes Mill Road, Limestone, Maine, USA. (Obviously someone copied it to All Things Vintage from my posting on www.Flickr.com without giving proper credit. I am happy to see it here on the SDC Forum. It was also used with an article I wrote for the Canadian periodical, "Old Autos".)

There were about 5,000 cars in the yard, ranging from 1930 to the 1970s.

The yard was operated for decades by a very eccentric gentleman, Calvin West. Numerous cars were restored by antiquers in the New England states and Maritime Provinces of Canada after being purchased there. There were many more convertibles and many more luxury cars than might be expected. Among the vehicles which I remember were a Studebaker Weasel, a few Diamond T pickups, a c.1950 Packard woody wagon, a 1958 Mercury 2-door hardtop station wagon and numerous other oddball vehicles. All the cars were neatly parked; none were piled up and very few were rolled over.

There were many cars in very good condition with 1960s license plates from all over the United States, which has a very sad connotation. The yard was adjacent to the United States Air Force Loring Strategic Air Command base. Mr. West had the contract to remove abandoned cars from the base. Unfortunately, some of cars were abandoned because their owners did not return from Viet Nam.

After Mr. West died in the late 1980s, the yard was bought by 2 other men, Randy Bortree and Jack McLean. They operated it for a few years, and then crushed everything about 1994.
          Last edited by Greenstude; 12-22-2016, 06:22 AM.
          Bill Jarvis

Comment

OK, the reason I asked is because it looks exactly like the junkyard I visited a couple years ago, and I took pictures of trees in cars, such as this one. I was sure I didn't take any pictures of an evergreen in a Studebaker however, even though the yard has Studebakers, including a 1950 Starlight on the north border of the yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post

love it! season-appropriate greetings to you and yours. Quentin.
              Anyways - regardless of how old it is, where it was taken, and who by, it is a great Studebaker-lover seasonally appropriate picture that conveys the necessaries for this time of year. enjoy !!

Comment

Working...
              X