Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone willing to help a '48 M-16 get from Wisconsin to Maryland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone willing to help a '48 M-16 get from Wisconsin to Maryland?

This post is a re-statement/refinement of one I posted on 12/19/16, since I couldn't change that one's Title.

Hello readers, here's a question about vehicle transport and club members' helpfulness.

I have the opportunity to buy a real nice condition M16 truck that's located in Wisconsin; it would need to be transported to me in MD.
    The seller lives in Dunbar WI, and says he's willing to get the truck to either Madison or Milwaukee WI for me. He's only available to do that on a weekend day, though, and the idea of being able to time it so that he meets a transporter at a precise time seems pretty unrealistic to me.

Because Dunbar is 200 miles further north than is Milwaukee, shipping quotes I've gotten (from Peg's Trucking, suggested to me by another SDC'er, and used by me to get my last truck in July 2016) are much higher than are those from Milwaukee or Madison. Soooo, I'm wondering if there's a club member/reader in the Milwaukee or Madison area that would be willing and able to have this M16 dropped off at their place and stay there for a few days in order for a transporter to do the pickup from there rather than Dunbar. Presumptuous to ask, maybe, but I asked this same kind of question about 15 months ago (for a truck to come from Canada to Minneapolis, to then be picked up and brought to me in MD), and a club member said "sure, I'll do it!"; sadly for me, the truck got sold locally in Canada before this idea became reality.

I know the weather is likely somewhat poor in that area at this time of the year, and that likely is part of what's increasing the transport quote prices (the quoted price from Dunbar WI to me in MD, 965 miles, is the exact same amount as was the transport of my last truck from Riverside WA to me in MD....2615 miles....in July 2016!), hence the idea of looking to start the transport from Milwaukee or Madison instead.

Anyway, I wanted to put this out there in front of the club readers to see what might come of it. If you don't ask, the answer is always "no".
    Thanks.
    Mike Auldridge
    Gaithersburg, MD
    301-651-4346
    SDC Life Member since 1976
    1948 M16
    1961 Lark VIII convertible (with minor mods)

Mike, if the dropoff point were the Raleigh, NC area, I'd gladly offer to help. OK Cheeseheads, help him out!
    (And I mean that with total respect for our Wisconsin brethren!)
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

If it were in Middle Tennessee, you could drop it here..... Of course it might get a few miles added...LOL

Can you just drive it?

Comment

Hope you get some help. I have had guys help me, and I have helped others with similar issues.
        But, being in OK, I can't do much for you here.

Comment

ROAD TRIP!!! Just Drive the thing! Talk about Adventure

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
            ROAD TRIP!!! Just Drive the thing! Talk about Adventure
            Sure! On the surface, sounds like a romantic Idea for an epic road-trip. While we are "dreaming"...let's examine the realities. This machine was developed using the best technology of its era (late 1930's) A rugged, yet somewhat primitive bone jarring machine, with an optimistic 45mph cruising speed on level ground. Under way, the cabin noise akin to sitting next to a twelve year old with his first set of snare drums. Because you can't maintain interstate minimum speeds, you are relegated to mostly rural roads, still waiting for "shovel ready" repairs. Clutch & Brake operation requiring the leg strength of a grown kangaroo. And...the mind of a fortuneteller...so you can plan well ahead for any required sudden unexpected panic stop.!!!

If you have unflappable optimism, take unexpected setbacks in stride, have bullet proof kidneys, a low back that needs zero lumbar support, and the overall physical stamina of a late teen athlete...I say "GO FOR IT!" I would love to follow the postings as the trip unfolds.

Wintertime, upper midwest to northeast atlantic...over 1000 miles @ 35mph...EPIC INDEED!
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Mike, I am a mile from I-43 just SW of Milwaukee (between Waukesha and Big Bend). I am about 25 miles from downtown Milwaukee. The truck could be parked here if it is for a short time. Pick up from here would be the metro Milwaukee area. From Dunbar to here is 230 miles. Right now there is a lot of salt on the roads and we have about 18" of snow on the ground with more to come. It is 765 miles from me to you for calculating shipping. Let me know if you are interested. jimpepper60@gmail.com (414) 587-5797

Jim
              james r pepper

Comment

Thanks for the generous offer, Jim. I'm tempted, yes. Your weather report makes it sound like I should wait a bit, though; that 18" of snow with more to come sounds a bit ominous. The truck seller says I can leave it there (at his place) as long as I want, til the weather gets better or Spring comes, whichever happens first; I'm just not a fan of buying something and leaving it for a couple to a few months ! I'll be talking to him in a couple of days to find out if the truck is semi-buried in snow; that would make picking it up by anybody a moot point for a little while. We'll keep in touch.
                Mike Auldridge
                Gaithersburg, MD
                301-651-4346
                1948 M16

Comment

Dunbar will get more snow tonight. The Milwaukee area will get rain at first then turning to snow. Another 3" is forecast.
                  james r pepper

Comment

Mike,
                    I live 12 miles NE of West Bend, WI. It can sit here as long as necessary. Looks like 815 miles.
                    1936 Dictator
                    1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                    1953 Commander Regal HT
                    1953 2R5 Pickup
                    1947 M16 Truck
                    1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                    1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                    1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                    1962 GT Hawk
                    1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                    1963 GT Hawk R2
                    1964 Daytona Convertible
                    1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Mike, you can't have two better guys to help you. Both Jim and Claude are stand up guys and will help you without any worries. Good luck with your move. Bill Van Alstyne

Comment

Jim and Claude, thank you both so very much for volunteering to let the '48 M16 truck come to your place as a waystation between owner in Dunbar WI and me in Gaithersburg MD ! Once the Christmas madness is over with, I'll re-contact Peg's Trucking to get her read on whether one location is better (in her opinion, for getting a lowboy trailer to do the transporting) than the other.
                        Jim, when you say that the M16 would be OK to stay parked at your place "for a few days", realistically how "few" would that be, estimated? The seller would haul it from Dunbar on a Saturday/Sunday; the question would be how flexible a transporter would be, as far as wanting a long lead time to plan for pickup, plus how likely would someone be around if a transporter would say "yeah, I'll do it" on short notice, as if another load fell through and s/he wanted to pick something up to substitute.
                        Mike Auldridge
                        Gaithersburg, MD
                        301-651-4346
                        1948 M16

Comment

Claude, on 1/23/17 I sent a private message to you in regards to this offer.
                          Mike Auldridge
                          Gaithersburg, MD
                          301-651-4346
                          1948 M16

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                            Sure! On the surface, sounds like a romantic Idea for an epic road-trip. While we are "dreaming"...let's examine the realities. This machine was developed using the best technology of its era (late 1930's) A rugged, yet somewhat primitive bone jarring machine, with an optimistic 45mph cruising speed on level ground. Under way, the cabin noise akin to sitting next to a twelve year old with his first set of snare drums. Because you can't maintain interstate minimum speeds, you are relegated to mostly rural roads, still waiting for "shovel ready" repairs. Clutch & Brake operation requiring the leg strength of a grown kangaroo. And...the mind of a fortuneteller...so you can plan well ahead for any required sudden unexpected panic stop.!!!

If you have unflappable optimism, take unexpected setbacks in stride, have bullet proof kidneys, a low back that needs zero lumbar support, and the overall physical stamina of a late teen athlete...I say "GO FOR IT!" I would love to follow the postings as the trip unfolds.

Wintertime, upper midwest to northeast atlantic...over 1000 miles @ 35mph...EPIC INDEED!
                            John,
                            Sounds just like my trip from Portland to Santa Maria California in my '61 Champ truck. Yes, it wore me out, but I had a great time anyway. I say you only live once, so go for it.
                            Ed Sallia
                            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Made a trip from Charlotte NC to Somerset Pa. in a newly purchased 53 2r5 pick up with hardly any brakes about ten years ago, longest trip ever ! Friends following said we looked like Timmy and Lassies parents going down the interstate, the only thing that didn't pass us was going the other direction, what a blast ,wouldn't want to do it again though ! Flat head 6 ,three speed w/overdrive 40-45 mph uphill and maybe 60-70 downhill . Checked the oil,water and filled the master cyl before we left, after about an hour on the interstate I said to the wife I wonder if anyone has checked the rearend or tranny grease in the last 30 years ?

Comment

Working...
                              X