keeping mice out of your cars this winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keeping mice out of your cars this winter

This article from my insurance co. newsletter. Some of the suggestions everyone knows about, some may be new..........
    Restorations by Skip Towne

My experience has been that some of the Mice and Rats are repelled by Dryer Sheets and others not so much, they make a NEST out of em!

It may have more to do about HOW Bad they want your nice comfy Trunk or Glovebox nest space, backseat Cotton etc. etc.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A box of Moth Balls is a great deterrent
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Some People say You have to have a Cat.
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I've used the dryer sheets to minimal effect; likewise the mothballs.
          The shop where I work specializes in high-end autos, and they all get an annual under-chassis spray of Amsoil Heavy-Duty Metal Protector, MPHD, before the road crews start spreading the salt. It also seems to be somewhat of a deterrent for those exotics that get winter storage.
          I would suspect using any and all means to be cheap insurance. And having a cat doesn't hurt either!
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have read on numerious occasions that exhaust tips should be covered. I read article about mice that actually went up and exhaust pipe, thru an open exhaust valve in the head and nested in the cyclinder. For those of you with an Avanti a tennis ball is a perfect fit. I actually drilled a hole thru them and put an eye bolt in them, tied them together with a heavy string and pull them at the same time. They are always in exhaust ends when the Avanti is not being driven. I know overkill but I like it.
            Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
            Fort Worth, TX

Comment

I read a lot of articles on this. None seemed to be fool proof so I purchased a 20 foot shipping container for my R4 tribute Avanti lol. I don't want to meet the rat that can breach that lol. I keep it inside of my warehouse.
              John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

They don't like traps either!, but you do have to tend them.

Comment

I've always used mothballs and the only trouble that I ever had was one year that I neglected to do so but no major damage resulted.

And it's worth noting that ratsized rodents are not the problem usually but tiny mole sized critters that can actually get through the hole in the bottom of a standard shift bell housing and build a nest. Had it happen to my old Avanti when I had occasion to change out a starter...

Comment

I have a couple of traps by the garage door, and so far no critters.
                    peter lee

Comment

A month ago I put 2 traps in front of the corner of the garage door, and caught 20 mice in the first three weeks. Then something was getting the peanut butter and not getting caught, so I set out a rat trap and caught a red squirrel. No mice in the past week, so hopefully they are gone for the winter. I also put moth balls in my cars and throw them around the inside of the garage.

Comment

I just drive mine. They hate going on trips in the car. I think it makes them car sick.
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I run a trap line all winter. They seem to come in groups. No catches for a long time, then several in a row, so yu can't let your guard down.
                          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                          50 Champion 2 door*
                          53 Commander K Auto*
                          53 Commander K overdrive*
                          55 President Speedster
                          62 GT 4Speed*
                          63 Avanti R1*
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

As everyone probably knows rats don't go into a trap where one has gone before, but mice... are REALLY stupid!
                            A guy had big mice-problems in his house, this was summertime, & he spotted the track they went in his garden so he digged a hole & put a 60 liters oil-barrel with water in the hole & sure enough: they just keep on coming & filling it!
                            Then he was called away for a week... The smell was "quite something else" as he put it, the barrel was FULL of them.
                            Rats on the other hand... Are "exiting"!

Comment

I'm trying the "fresh cab" stuff this year....we'll see. They got into my '50 Champion last winter & destroyed the front seat.....
                              Mike Sal

Comment

Working...
                              X