Need 54 Coupe headlights and door handles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need 54 Coupe headlights and door handles

I just bought a 54 coupe basket case that is missing the headlight assemblies and door handles. I plan on painting the headlights bezels so I don't need perfect bezels. Driver quality door handles will work for me.

Anybody have any they are willing to part with?

Do you need the head light buckets, trim rings and the bezels? are you needing inside or outside handles?
    Mark Chance

1933 Model 56 5 window Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by MChance View Post
      Do you need the head light buckets, trim rings and the bezels? are you needing inside or outside handles?
      For the headlights, I need it all. The fiberglass front end has not had anything installed on it yet. .....just flat spots at the front of the fenders. I am missing both inside and outside door handles, but may adapt something non-studebaker when I do the interior. I want the outside to look stock. So right now, just outside handles.

I may go stock on the interior too. I don't know yet.

Comment

I know I have a pair of headlight buckets and retainer rings, not sure on the bezels, I will check condition of the outside handles that I have, PM me your email address and I will send off some pictures of the items I do have
        Mark Chance

1933 Model 56 5 window Coupe

Comment

The outside door handles are the same from 53 through 62 or 63, so you can widen your search.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            The outside door handles are the same from 53 through 62 or 63, so you can widen your search.
            Meaning any of them will function and not look out of place. Richard is obviously not making a stock show car so any will be fine. But the '53-'60 ones were stainless and had a concave surface, while the '61-'66 were chromed and had a ridged surface. I believe the later ones are still available in NOS, but the earlier stainless ones show up at swap meets.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

rockne10 is correct. I had a spring pop the outer push button on my stock 55. I had 18 door handles for a 2 door car....and even a new set from S.I. The people that did the fit and finish on my car rejected the new ones (convex surface) and rebuilt some of the older ones (concave surface). I really wouldn't have known the difference, but after all the work they did to bring the car back from the grave, they weren't gonna fudge on "new" door handles. When I get the 54 to Canada, its' going straight to the same guys...for having my back even though I didn't deserve it.
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Which style door handles are the prettiest?

Also, what is the date range for headlight parts?

Comment

Originally posted by Flipper View Post
                  ... prettiest?
                  "Prettiest" is going to be subjective. Something for you to determine. I can provide photos of the earlier stainless handles. If someone else can provide photos of the later ones you will have to compare and suit your taste.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PC150017.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1711546 Click image for larger version

Name:	PC150016.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1711547 Click image for larger version

Name:	PC150015.jpg
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1711548
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

This is what I'm starting with. Right now it is not exactly the prettiest car in the neighborhood, but it has potential. Struggling with whether to keep the fiberglass front end or track down studebaker sheet metal. Currently, there are no inner fenders on the car. ...on one of these cars, are the inner fenders structural? or just there to keep dirt out of the engine compartment?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9394.jpg
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	1711573

Comment

Originally posted by Flipper View Post
                      This is what I'm starting with. Right now it is not exactly the prettiest car in the neighborhood, but it has potential. Struggling with whether to keep the fiberglass front end or track down studebaker sheet metal. Currently, there are no inner fenders on the car. ...on one of these cars, are the inner fenders structural? or just there to keep dirt out of the engine compartment?
                      There is a structural element to the inner fenders. They stiffen the outer fenders and possibly add rigidity to the frame also. If you keep the glass front end, and I would, I'd add a support from the top of the firewall to the frame near the radiator on each side. As far as the headlight buckets, the C/K, Hawk, GT fenders are mostly unchanged from 53-62 or so, so I would think most any headlight bucket setup could be made to work.

The biggest issue with going to a stock front end is the combination of cost and availability. You probably don't want to know what a good set of grill surrounds and bars go for and that's not including the sheet metal cost which is for the most desirable front end Studebaker designed during this era. Good front sheet metal for the 53/54's is getting pretty scarce although most 53-62 fenders can be made to work, the hoods and grill mounting sheet metal in good shape are difficult to find and pricey.

I also see you are from KY, so why not wander up to South Bend in early May 2017 for the International meet. You'll find a lot of what you need there in the swap meet area and the prices are pretty reasonable, generally.

Good luck, Looks like a great project.

Bob
                      Last edited by sweetolbob; 12-18-2016, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X