M Series truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M Series truck

I've been around Studebakers as long as I can remember. All those trucks...and only 1 left. My Grandpa and I had a strong passion for the R series trucks. Recently, I met with a guy that wants to sell me his 48 M series 1 & 1/2 ton. It's been sitting in his barn for years. He had started to get it painted and do some repairs to it, but doesn't have time for it anymore. He's asked me to make an offer on it.

Granted, it's disassembled, but it would be a runner if I put it back together. I have been out of the game for so long, I don't know what the going "real" rate is for these trucks.

I see folks trying to sell their clunkers for $8k or more. But, none of them sell...so I can't determine the best price point.

Any of you that have some recent experience in this regard, your input would be great!

You can put "Studebaker trucks" into ebay motors and see what they are going for nationally. You can also click on completed listings and see what they actually sold for (or didn't sell for). An M series 1.5-ton truck would be an M16, with the 226 ci Commander 6 engine. If it has been sitting for years without starting, it's hard to say if the engine will require a complete rebuild or not (or is even rebuildable). Parts for it are available, but it might be an expensive job to get it back on the road. Many restoration jobs get stopped by the cost of things like engine or brake parts. If the sheet metal is in good shape, it might be worth more in parts than as a complete vehicle. The M16 has a notch in the firewall to accommodate the bigger Commander engine, and that makes it easier to transplant other engines into trucks equipped with this cab.

M5 pickups are actively collected by both the restoration and modified crowd -- but the M16s not so much. I love big Stude trucks, but must admit they have severe limitations. They are big and slow and relatively uncomfortable to drive for long distances. I have never bought or sold a big M-series truck, but my guess is that (based on the limited info in your description), if the sheet metal is good, it might be worth $1-2K. And maybe 2-3 times that much as a complete, running vehicle.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

I really dislike these people who say, "well, why don't ya just give me an offer?" Tell me what you want for heaven's sake! If you can drive the truck, generally start at around two grand and go from there. In the situation of a basket case, I would start at five hundred and talk from there. What is it worth? No more or less than you are willing to pay for it and the owner will take.
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I've been watching the trucks on eBay...but nothing's selling...or at least "not much" is selling. But thank you for the info. I will keep it all in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
          I really dislike these people who say, "well, why don't ya just give me an offer?" Tell me what you want for heaven's sake! If you can drive the truck, generally start at around two grand and go from there. In the situation of a basket case, I would start at five hundred and talk from there. What is it worth? No more or less than you are willing to pay for it and the owner will take.
          I looked at a truck recently and when I asked if the owner would sell it he said yes. I asked how much he wanted and he wanted to know what it was worth. After some consideration, I made an offer which he refused. He still would not give me a number. It would be nice to know if I was even close. Oh well.......
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
          X