Cleaning a Fuel Gauge Sending Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning a Fuel Gauge Sending Unit

I haven't pulled the sending unit out of my fuel tank yet, but since it's been sitting, unused, in the tank for 40+ years I'm anticipating "grunge, frozen up, etc. Can the sending unit be cleaned up, or not? If so, what would I use to clean it? Thanks, guys...

Not sure what car you're dealing with, but if it's a 40 year old Studebaker passenger car you could just replace the sender with a new Moeller 035725-10 and be done. You can usually find them on ebay or at a marine store for less then $30. They are compatible with Studebaker gauges and highly adjustable to fit many applications. They may work in truck tanks too, but I haven't done that, so won't testify to it. I also don't know if they will work on a 6 volt system or not.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The cork will probably disintegrate as mine did....get new one.
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

Car is a '56 Sky Hawk...

Comment

It may not need to be cleaned on the inside. I'd connect an ohm meter to it and read the ohms as you move the float up and down.

I installed a modern float that stands up to crap gas.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
            It may not need to be cleaned on the inside. I'd connect an ohm meter to it and read the ohms as you move the float up and down.

I installed a modern float that stands up to crap gas.
            What was the brand name and where did you purchase it?

Comment

I had a float from some unknown car that I saved from years ago when I got a bunch from the junk yard. This was my last one, but they are available from Model A stores, such as from Bert's in Denver (800-321-1931), part number A-9324-U for $4.80 plus shipping.
              I'd guess the Studebaker parts sellers must have them also.

Comment

IIRC Bob Johnstones site has a tutorial on replacing the cork float. It not there is a thread on the forum somewhere. By the way it is easy to forget about his site. It is a wealth of information and should be a "first read" when looking for answers about Studebakers.

Comment

Working...
                X