Exterior Colors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior Colors?

Hello, I have a 63 Cruiser with chestnut interior with rose mist body color. I have had to replace the sheet metal from a donor. The donor metal is a aqua blue. My wife likes the blue color instead of the faded rose mist paint. I would prefer to restore to the original rose mist, but I would also like to have my wife like the Cruiser. What were stock body colors that were offered with the chestnut interior?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve Nowicki

Davis, CA

1963 Studebaker Cruiser
    289 V8 2bbl
    Flight-o-matic
    Twin Traction Dana 44
    Factory front power disc brakes
    Rose mist with Chestnut interior

Here's the way I handled that topic with my wife. When restoring a couple of my vehicles, she objected to me keeping the original colors. Not so much that she didn't like the colors themselves, but she is a sports enthusiast. She objected to the colors because, to her, they reminded her of a couple of rival teams she does not like. My side of the debate was that the colors were chosen by the teams, but were around long before the team selected them. Thus, the team did not own the colors, but merely used them.

Next, I pointed out how much more expense, and extra work was involved in truly changing colors. Door jams, under hood, trunk, etc. In addition, (more important to her than me), how much worse the color might clash with the interior colors over the already suspect factory offerings. Therefore, changing exterior colors might include reupholstering and repainting interior surfaces.

I concluded my stance on the subject by making a compromise. I explained I would go along with a color change, (if it was important enough to her), if she would pay for the difference in cost. Both vehicles have retained their original color.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Aqua is a tough match for chestnut. You've just jumped another $2K for interior work...at least. Plus, I've never met a woman who didn't like Rose Mist.....I had it on my 63' Cruiser (pictured inside cover 11/16 TW'S)....Make everyone happy !

Comment

The only color that might be good for chestnut would be Champagne Gold. When Rosemist and Champagne Gold fade, they fade about the same and look similar. Both are fragile colors out in the desert.

Bob Miles
        Tucson AZ

Comment

I agree. I only have color chips for my early 50's Studes, but ROSE MIST sounds like a nice color that any woman would like.

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
            The only color that might be good for chestnut would be Champagne Gold. When Rosemist and Champagne Gold fade, they fade about the same and look similar. Both are fragile colors out in the desert. Bob MilesTucson AZ
            Silver or White should also work fine. The TWO most popular Colors to date, for many years now.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 12-12-2016, 08:39 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I love Rose Mist. But color is VERY important to a woman. If you want her to support your hobby, you know what to do. But I'm also surprised she doesn't like Rose Mist.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
              X