Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Fast is Too Fast? You Tell Me.

Hi all,
    Back in October, I drove the Stude up to Hershey, PA to participate in the big AACA meet (it received a DPC chip). The drive to Hershey was done at night and there was some highway driving; the car covered 100+ miles in a pretty rapid clip. Some parts of the road have 70 MPH speed limits and of course modern day traffic can move even faster. I'm happy to report that the car seemed to appreciate the speed and seemed to want to go faster and faster. My question is what seems to be a good cruising speed for your Stude and at what would be the maximum speed you would (or have) push(ed) it to? Lastly, what would you base your maximum speed on: degradation of the ride, safety, etc... Don't forget to mention some of the specifics of your car, so we can get an apples to apples comparison.

P.S. I wrote about the Hershey experience and that can viewed at the blog link in the signature line.
    Attached Files
    1956 Studebaker President Classic

Member of the Studebaker Drivers Club

Member of the Antique Automobile Club of America, Sugarloaf Mountain Region Historian

Mt. Airy, Maryland

http://instagram.com/theorphanpresident/

www.saturdaythe14th.wordpress.com (Blog)

I find that my Lark VIII wagon will happily cruise faster than it will be able to stop in modern traffic. I keep it between 60 and 65 MPH. I have no doubt that 70+ is plenty doable, but with manual 4-wheel drum brakes, I'm just not going to out stop, or even have an equal braking distance to modern cars. I find at least in Northern California, that if I leave ample space between me and the car in front to allow for my less efficient braking, someone in a new econobox sees it as an invitation to squeeze in to that space.

So vigilance is the key, and my comfort zone with this is 65 MPH and under.
    Last edited by voxnut; 12-08-2016, 01:59 PM.
    Dean Seavers
    Sacramento, CA

Comment

The only Stude I drive regularly is the 64 Avanti. With modern disk brakes, I have no issues keeping up with traffic . In Fl, it seems that the speed limit is considered by most to be a lower bound, so speeds of 80 - 90 are common.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

If my vehicles--ANY of my vehicles--won't safely and reasonably comfortably go the posted speed limit, it would mean something was wrong and would be fixed... PERIOD!

Comment

I agree with Dean. It seems as the safety of our modern Cars was bolstered, the stupidity of the general public increased as well. People just don't believe in following distances anymore.
          I consider a variety of things that effect my top speed. First of all, the overdrive. In the truck it doesn't work. So my top speed is about sixty and I daren't go faster for fear of blowing the engine. I'd love to have the tranny fixed, or rebuilt, however don't have the cash at present. With my wagon I consider the brakes (which to me feel quite adequate, when they work), the bearings, and the fact I am driving a sixty-year-old car, Hence, if I lose a major component (like say a wheel), will it cause a crash? I don't care about having to change my pants. They can be laundered. The car doing a self-destruct in the middle of the freeway is another matter altogether. So, I usually take the President of Studebaker's advice and keep my speed at or below the double-nickel. Sometimes as fast as sixty, if the trucks insist. One of the few advantages of living here in Soviet California is the Double-Nickel rule for trucks and tow-vehicles. So slow-pokes like me have a refuge. Having a seventy-five thousand pound big brother helps considerably. Outside of the (San Francisco) Bay Area, they don't mess around with the trucks.

It's necessary for us to consider what, exactly, we are driving. Our cars are in and of themselves designed pretty well, safety wise, for their time. However, they are older than a good number of people driving on the road today and are only steel machines who are suffering from fatigue and age. Kinda like most of us.
          A friend of mine, not five miles from her home, was returning from her sister's. She was struck head-on by a tweaker/drunk (who knows which that day) in a borrowed car. Both cars were destroyed. My friend's car was only three years old, the Jeep was twenty. My friend had to be cut out of her car with two broken legs (shattered more like) and both arms broken as well. Her granddaughter in the back seat wasn't harmed at all. Now, had this accident been in my '56 Parkview, I would be dead along with the little girl, possibly, in the back seat. Unless of course, I had the presence of mind to dive sideways away from the steering wheel, as much as the seatbelt would allow. Even then I doubt Bess would protect me sufficiently. Now, had I been able to ameliorate the situation sufficiently that the opposing driver simply side-swiped me, I might make it. But even then it is likely Bess would roll over, possibly several times.

So similar to what Dean said; Vigilance is the key, and my comfort zone with this is under sixty. I just move right, when I can, and wave as they go by...
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I have had my Hawk up to 120, but it doesn't give me a secure feeling. It will get there quite easily. Tires are "Z" rated, HD springs and KYB shocks but the antique suspension leaves something to be desired. I can't imagine Andy Granatelli driving stock R2 Larks and Hawks at 140+......

Comment

63 R2 Hawk That's why the seat had a funny shape to it when he was done. That old saying of sucking the seat up your you know what.

Comment

After driving and knowing a car you can get a sense and feel of what the car is comfortable. You as the driver should take everything in account that has been posted here as far as modern traffic. You should know your car and know yourself to the point you are at ease. Engine Revs, ride and steering quality should tell you in advance what is good and let all the other nuts on the road,and behind the wheel leave you behind.

Tom MaCahill retested a Tucker on at the time the new Ontario Speedway in California (now gone). He took the car on the track an got it up to 105. He said he could have pushed it further but "I don't want to tear up greatness". That is how I feel when I do get the chance to drive a Studebaker. No need to prove anything; let them zoom around honk do whatever but be vigilant for the teenage bubble head texting behind or beside you and avoid them.

Bob Miles
                Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
                  If my vehicles--ANY of my vehicles--won't safely and reasonably comfortably go the posted speed limit, it would mean something was wrong and would be fixed... PERIOD!
                  There are hundreds of miles of 80 MPH limits out here in ID, MT and UT. The only Stude I've ever driven where the engine felt comfortable at that sustained speed was the '56J. The Stude V8 engined cars I've owned were either geared too low and/or would pump the oil pan dry if held at 80 MPH for very many miles. And no, I wouldn't want to have to stop a '56J suddenly from 80 MPH.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

59 Lark 2dr. wagon. 259 powered, automatic trans., 3.55 gear, 26+" tall tires.
                    On the north side of the Grape Vine (SoCal), heading north to Bakersfield (Fomoso), (drag races).

Cruised for 10/12 miles at 95mph, with spurts to 105+ (my speedometer is 3mph off at 70, or so the officer said !). That's about all the valve springs would let me go..! I've made that trip several times in the last few years, with the same driving style.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by voxnut View Post
                      I find that my Lark VIII wagon will happily cruise faster than it will be able to stop in modern traffic. I keep it between 60 and 65 MPH. I have no doubt that 70+ is plenty doable, but with manual 4-wheel drum brakes, I'm just not going to out stop, or even have an equal braking distance to modern cars. I find at least in Northern California, that if I leave ample space between me and the car in front to allow for my less efficient braking, someone in a new econobox sees it as an invitation to squeeze in to that space.

So vigilance is the key, and my comfort zone with this is 65 MPH and under.
                      My thoughts exactly. It seems that the faster and "safer" new cars get, the closer to the edge people drive them.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                        59 Lark 2dr. wagon. 259 powered, automatic trans., 3.55 gear, 26+" tall tires.
                        On the north side of the Grape Vine (SoCal), heading north to Bakersfield (Fomoso), (drag races).

Cruised for 10/12 miles at 95mph, with spurts to 105+ (my speedometer is 3mph off at 70, or so the officer said !). That's about all the valve springs would let me go..! I've made that trip several times in the last few years, with the same driving style.

Mike
                        Funny that you mention that Mike, one of the reasons I bought my Lark wagon was to tow the FED that I'm in the process of building. Was just down at Famoso in Oct for the CHRR - but not in the Stude.
                        Dean Seavers
                        Sacramento, CA

Comment

how fast is too fast

my 54 3R5 goes around 55-60 and the new to me Lark wagon with the 4.3 chevy goes around 70.
                          Last edited by jbjr; 12-08-2016, 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

My 66 Daytona has all the most modern features that Studebaker put into cars at that point. I have gone totally through the brake system, rebuilding the calipers and wheel cylinders. All new steel and flex lines and shoes and pads. Added the dual master cylinder and replaced suspension parts and shocks.
                            The engine is pretty stock 283 McKinnon with the addition of power pack heads, 4 barrel and dual exhaust. It was standard with transistor ignition. Flight-O-Matic has been replaced with a Turbo 350.
                            I feel comfortable at highway speeds, including the 75 MPH interstates. The car handles fine, but not like a new Lexus. The brakes are very good and stop the car straight and quick. I am running radial tires. We drive the car a lot and don't hesitate to point it and go several hundreds of miles.
                            I have had the needle bouncing on the 110 mark and it had a little more to go. With the speedo error that should have been right at 100. I would not want to drive that speed for a long distance, but I wouldn't want to do that in any new car either..........OK, GT40, Roush Mustang might tempt me, but still not for a whole trip.
                            I guess that when I was in High School and owned a 62 Daytona 2DR Hdtp, 289,4 barrel, 4 speed, I drove it harder and faster, but the car was only 4 years old and the rest of the cars on the road were , technically, the same. Pegging the 120 clock was common and very surprising to many GM, Ford, and Mopar owners.
                            Reliving those days in the 66 Daytona just seems correct.
                            I do not condone or recommend breaking any laws of the road and I do not expect anyone to over drive their vehicle. When I have the opportunity, I drive 55-65 and enjoy the ride.
                            It's the journey, not the destination. If I need to be there sooner, I'll leave earlier.
                            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                            1950 Champion Convertible
                            1950 Champion 4Dr
                            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

"I agree with Dean. It seems as the safety of our modern Cars was bolstered, the stupidity of the general public increased as well. People just don't believe in following distances anymore." Ron Smith

Ron nailed it. Drivers are more distracted than ever, and have worse driving habits than ever before. I think the FEDs made a big mistake by raising the speed limit to such high rates, both because of safety and fuel economy.

I limit my modern car to 60 MPH and my Studebakers to 55 MPH. I consider what is a reasonably safe speed, a speed that gives the best fuel economy, and a speed is best for the longevity of the engine. I like to keep engine speed 2000 RPM and under when possible, but even 55 MPH in my Stude is running the engine a bit over 2000 RPM. My Champion has a 4" stroke, and my Commander has a 4 3/4" stroke, both of which are a very long stroke engine, better suited to lower RPM's.

Comment

Working...
                              X