Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M5 instrument panel: ideas for.

Dear friends

I am seriously looking for a M5, but with very low probabilities of success, as apparently here in Chile all of them were wrecked after a long long life in the hauling duties.
    In the meantime I am dreaming. I have learnt that the 41 model has a nice instrument panel from the Champion car but later models have a very simple and not cozy at all instrument panel.
    I would like to know some suggestions on how to improve(aesthetically) the panel in the standard M5- if could have a 41 Champion panel to swap, it could be great but it is not possible.
    Your comments and, if possible, photos please.

Studebakerchile

Ricardo,
    All M5's (in fact all M series trucks) had the same instrument panel for all years (1941-1948). It was the same panel used in the 1941 Champion cars.

Here's the instrument panel in Gary Ash's fine 1948 M5...

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Ricardo,
      All M5's (in fact all M series trucks) had the same instrument panel for all years (1941-1948). It was the same panel used in the 1941 Champion cars.

Here's the instrument panel in Gary Ash's fine 1948 M5...

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks Dick.
        Probably i was incorrect talking about instrument panel. The instruments are the same, right, but the total panel, IE. central area for speaker, globe box etc, seems to be more decorated in 1941 than the other models. I have the book on Pick up trucks edited by Hemmings (book that recopilates a series of older articles published beforehand) and the M5 that appears there, have the exact same interior than the 41 Champion car (that we have here and I have posted previously. With that interior the M5 looks pretty . Probably it is not original ?

Studebakerchile

Comment

Thanks Dick.
          Probably i was incorrect talking about instrument panel. The instruments are the same, right, but the total panel, IE. central area for speaker, globe box etc, seems to be more decorated in 1941 than the other models. I have the book on Pick up trucks edited by Hemmings (book that recopilates a series of older articles published beforehand) and the M5 that appears there, have the exact same interior than the 41 Champion car (that we have here and I have posted previously. With that interior the M5 looks pretty . Probably it is not original ?

Studebakerchile

Comment

Hello Ricardo:
            I kept the dash of my M5 essentially stock, but it is my understanding that the more ornate dash pieces from the Champion will interchange with those from the M-series trucks. I know this is true of the speaker grille and radio cover, which are painted on the truck and chrome on the car.

Attached below are a couple of the pictures of an M5 that was auctioned by Barrett Jackson recently, and its interior has the more ornate car dash pieces and steering wheel. The upholstery and door panels of the auctioned truck are also much more lavish than the cardboard door panels and basic vinyl of a stock truck.

Best of luck with your project.

Regards-
            John Stine
            '46 M5 Pickup
            '63 Lark Sedan

Comment

Hello Ricardo:
              I kept the dash of my M5 essentially stock, but it is my understanding that the more ornate dash pieces from the Champion will interchange with those from the M-series trucks. I know this is true of the speaker grille and radio cover, which are painted on the truck and chrome on the car.

Attached below are a couple of the pictures of an M5 that was auctioned by Barrett Jackson recently, and its interior has the more ornate car dash pieces and steering wheel. The upholstery and door panels of the auctioned truck are also much more lavish than the cardboard door panels and basic vinyl of a stock truck.

Best of luck with your project.

Regards-
              John Stine
              '46 M5 Pickup
              '63 Lark Sedan

Comment

Thanks John

This was exactly what I was looking for. On my opinion it is a relly nice instrument panel, better than the stock

I also would like to have good luck with my project as I have not found teh pick up yet (and my wife do not even suspects that I am looking for a new interest)

Studebakerchile

Comment

Thanks John

This was exactly what I was looking for. On my opinion it is a relly nice instrument panel, better than the stock

I also would like to have good luck with my project as I have not found teh pick up yet (and my wife do not even suspects that I am looking for a new interest)

Studebakerchile

Comment

Working...
                  X