1965 Factory Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Factory Exhaust

Hey guys, I have not been on the forum for awhile. I'm slowely finishing my 65 with factory 283. I'm putting factory exhaust back on it and I got the exhaust from Studebaker West. It all fits nicely, but the crossover from the drivers side manifold is very close to the oil pan- like a quarter of an inch. I hate to use exhaust wrap. I'm afraid I'll burn the paint off my freshly painted engines oil pan. Did they really run the exhaust that close? Any ideas? Should I just have the part re-bent by an exhaust shop? I can't drive the car right now as I have the front end off for body work. Thanks!

Depends on how much room you have to move it. A lot of motors run that pipe kind of close do to space.

Comment

Is the Heat Riser Valve in place on the right side?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I looked at my 66, it has the 283 with the original factory installed exhaust. I couldn't get an exact measurement as it sits to low for me to get under it, but it looked to have 1/2 to 3/4 inch clearance.

Comment

My 65 Cruiser was about 1/2 inch. The car was my daily driver for 8 years, never had a problem. The paint on the pan had more road rash than anything else just driving on paved roads.

Bob Miles
          Tucson AZ

Comment

I just looked at my 66 Cruiser & it's close- I cant even get my forefinger in all the way & it has new polyurethane motor mounts too so it's not a case of the mounts being bad & sagging.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Solved the problem on my 65 with a dual exhaust system from Parks Pipes.
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Great! Thanks for the info guys. I have two supposedly nos crossovers. When I compared them, the one is bent to give me more clearance so I'll put that one on. The heat riser is in place. I had duals for years, but I'm restoring the car back to factory. I hope to be done for Hershey. Unfortunately, it won't score really high because the original paint is faded...but it's original so it stays for as long as I can keep it nice.

Comment

My 1950 was restored about 23 years ago and unfortunately they used lacquer, which is cracked and flaking off in a few spots. I used Turtle Wax on it a couple months ago, and that really helped it shine. Someday I hope to give it a better paint job.

Comment

I'm thinking if I can get 20 more years out of it, that'll be great. I'll be 52, almost done with kids (we are only thinking about starting a family now), and hopefully will have some money and time to take it apart to repaint. I may try the turtle wax.

Comment

There are companies, like Jet Hot and HPC, that apply exhaust system coatings which do a pretty remarkable job of retaining the heat within the system. I belive some can even be applied internally, so the paint could have some protection that wouldn't be visible.

Mark
                      sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Working...
                      X