Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a transtar

Hello,

I have been looking for a vintage car or truck for most of the summer and have decided on a Studebaker Truck, and would really like a Transtar. I would like a pick up bed, but would look at anything from a 1/2 ton to 2 Tons. Not looking for a trailer queen, would want to drive it and do little thing to it as I go along. SO looking for one as original and untouched as possible ( but not a basket case)

Thanks for reading and please help if you can.

Greg

Welcome Greg, I can't help You find a truck. but I'm sure some one here can do just that,may not take long either.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Hi Greg-

There is a big one featured at Barn Finds:

Now this is one cool old truck! In my opinion, Studebaker built some of the best looking trucks around, especially in the late '50s and early '60s. Their Transtar series of trucks ranged in size from a light 1/2 ton all the way up to a heavy duty 2 ton. Reader Dan M bought this rig...

Good luck.
      Jim K.
      63 Hawk

Comment

This truck is still available:

When I drafted that post last spring, I had some hope that someone attending the nearby York meet might take a slight detour and look it over. That did not happen and only one person actually came to visit (later in the summer). Obviously, the fact that the brakes were down and it would have to be repaired in situ or towed was a very big disincentive. I have since sorted out my storage issues and decided to get the truck roadworthy on my own. I have continued to install some of the other parts I had stockpiled but not installed. It now has a new master cylinder and a newly rebuilt monster Hydrovac unit. Thanksgiving, some family issues, and a desire to finish my 3R6 pickup diverted my attention for a while, but I expect I will get the brakes bled and the rest of the stuff installed during the winter. If I get it finished and driveable over the winter, I'll probably put it on ebay.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks,all I did see the one on Barn finds, but shipping would be an issue with that one,and Skip we emailed about yours and I would love to know when you are done with it.

Greg

Comment

have decided on a Studebaker Truck, and would really like a Transtar.
            Correct terminology makes the difference. I've owned Transtars and decided I preferred the '49-55 trucks for their style; even eventually settled on the '54-55 as the best of the best. Your opinion and preference and eventual choice is not open to question. Just to be sure you're happiest down the road after investing money, I'd just suggest looking at as many photos and real trucks as possible. There are very real differences in what seems similar cabs and beds. There are also very real differences between the Champion, Commander and V8 engines. Very real drivability differences between the overdrive and 4-speeds. Look and drive one as close to possible as what you plan to build before you buy. Even better, buy the best running, driving, looking truck you can find and you'll be way money ahead.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Here is one foe sale that I built , finished in 2003.
              This is a really great truck most of you know about(Jim Maxey's Truck)

I enjoy owning it, but have no time to use it and need to thin the heard

I thought I would put it here before I go to Turning wheels, stude page or social media.

4-53 diesel, 5 speed with 2 speed rear, and overdrive unit

Ready to get in and go

Have sides for flatbed, truck located in Newport News, VA

email georp@verizon.net or call seven 57-eight70-fifteen hundred for photos or more info(if I don't answer, I will call Back)

$20,000

Take Care

George

Comment

Thanks Jack, I guess I did word that poorly. I have always liked the transtar look, but I do like from the late 40's through the transfers in the early 60's and would look for the best one I could find. And for me that would be as complete and original as possible with some things I could do, but drivable.

Greg

Comment

Here's a Stude pickup with overdrive on MPLS craigslist.

Comment

Here's a 1949 Stude truck.

Comment

I drove a '59 Transtar for years, but finally decided it had a smile not even a mother could love.

The '55 was the first year for the V8 and the last year for the classic style hood and grill.

s

That's the one which spoke to me when I decided to build my custom

You need to look at as many as possible before buying.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

I'll take any of 'em from '55 to '64. Just wish the Champ had a bit more leg room. I'm almost tempted to take the front off my '63 two-door and graft it onto the back cap of my '62 and call that good. That way I can have a back seat and more acceptable leg room.

Good luck on your search. Transtars are great trucks!
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I have a super-solid, never repainted 90K mi., '59 Deluxe V8 short half w/rebuilt 289 for a serious builder. Needs no body repair, just paint.

Comment

Sounds nice Rebel. Does it run, stop, etc?
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                            X