Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05445.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1753203Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05437.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1753204While doing some routine maintenance on my distributor the main lead wire appears to have been overheated, what would be the cause? Also my 259 was puffing out the exhaust indicative of a lean condition, I noticed some moisture around one plug and when I removed it the crush washer was caught on the first thread and was installed that way. The engine ran very good except for the puffing. With the washer in the proper location the puffing stopped. It's the little things that can irritate.

Does the Pink Resistance wire from the Coil to the Ignition switch, have the correct resistance?

It almost looks like someone left the Cap off, and a Mouse was busy chewing on it.

I don't see how anyone could have Torqued or Tightened the Spark Plug without forcing the cocked washer down.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If the plug stopped at the washer,wouldn't You here a heck of a rapping sound "loose plug" or am I wrong.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I agree with Rich about the spark plug washer.
        On the wire, I wonder if someone put a coating of Liquid Tape over a worn bare spot where it might have rubbed on the cast iron body?
        That's what I found to be the problem when my neighbor's 50 Champion died 2 miles from home.

Comment

The wire looks like it was overheated sometime in the past due to a high current draw through the points. It's also possible that the insulation is deteriorating due to old age and normal heat inside of the distributor too. Bud

Comment

Am I seeing things, or is the ground electrode on the spark plug cracked?
            "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -B Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
              The wire looks like it was overheated sometime in the past due to a high current draw through the points. It's also possible that the insulation is deteriorating due to old age and normal heat inside of the distributor too. Bud
              That was the other possibility I had in mind for the wire.
              If that's what happened, be sure to check the spring on the points for good tension.
              In high school I accidentally sent 12 volts through my points, and it heated the spring and took the tension out, thus giving me a 30 MPH governor.

Comment

Leaving the key on with it not running and the points happen to be closed can cause that melted wire as well.
                Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

There was no rapping sound from the plug just puffing out the exhaust from lean condition. I guess I was too gentle on the torque wrench yes I do agree 25-30 pounds of torque should have dislodged the cocked washer. I have always snugged the spark plugs up to the washer and maby 10-15 pounds thereafter. I experienced having to remove a spark plug in pieces and now I am a little gun shy about over torqueing.

Comment

1555504 Cable, distributor to coil low tension is available for '62 - '64 Prestolite distributors. Studebaker International has them listed for $16.00 with the correct ends and grommet as shown.

Comment

Working...
                    X