Porsche Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porsche Studebaker

I was looking at one of my English Car magazines the other day and noticed a smallish car in one picture which had a rear end that resembled a four door 53 Stude.

I thought :Hey, that looks a lot like a Studebaker.

When I read the article it talked a bit about Porsche building a small car prototype for Studebaker. I then remembered seeing that fact somewhere before from Studebaker sources.

Cool!
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

There is a Lark with a Volkswagen engine in the Studebaker National Museum.

Comment

More on the Type 542 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...rsche-Type-542

Craig

Comment

I have posted about the Type 542 and the Porsche-powered Lark before. Here is a link to a short article I wrote for the Ocean Bay Chapter newsletter some years ago:
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
          I have posted about the Type 542 and the Porsche-powered Lark before. Here is a link to a short article I wrote for the Ocean Bay Chapter newsletter some years ago:
          http://www.studegarage.com/porsche.htm

Yep, I've run across that car several times in New England way back when I was a resident of the area...

Comment

I should try to find the picture. It was not a Lark body.

Comment

As best I recall it was in TW many moons ago.

Comment

Just a few weeks ago, someone posted this excellent photo of the front of the Type 542 Porsche on the AACA Forum.

I was hoping when I heard about these that they would resemble the 356 (som4etimes described as the bathtub car) but no, they look preferectly ordinary, something like a VW sedan made decades later. There was one with an air cooled engine and one with a water cooled engine. Never read how much Po...

I have a photo of the rear of the car, but it's a very small photo.
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

That Porsche engine really looks lost in that Lark's trunk!

Comment

Interesting! That looks like a 120 degree v6.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-6026261
                      That Porsche engine really looks lost in that Lark's trunk!
                      Was there a picture of this any where?

Mark
                      sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

I you have a computer , it is easy to use Google to find answers

Comment

That one may be the air cooled VW or 365 porsche engine (not much difference to see between them).

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Hemming Sports and Exotic had an article on this car some number of issues before. I also believe Hemmings Special Interest Autos had a similar article.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                              I you have a computer , it is easy to use Google to find answers
                              https://www.yahoo.com/news/rear-engi...200012843.html
                              Thanks! I understand why it was done but I don't think I care for the look of the lid raised up on blocks the way it was? Seems it wouldn't have been so easily marketable.

Mark
                              sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Working...
                              X