1950 Land Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Land Cruiser

Well,I probably need another Studebaker like a shot in the head, but lately I've been dreaming about '50 Land Cruisers. Anybody know of one? I think I'd prefer a manual trans over an auto, but I guess I'd consider any. A very nice project or up to a super sharp one that's all done-- all worth considering.
    I'm also considering selling our unrestored '63 Daytona Convertible, as well as our Fully restored '57 VW Bug to finance this crazy idea, if either of those would interest anyone...
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1965 Cruiser
    1970 Avanti

1950 only, or would a 1951 LC satisfy your craving for a bullet nose? I'm thinking about selling my '51, and I'm not too far from you. It's a V8 with 3-speed manual with OD. It's complete, but would be a project.
    Last edited by Mark L; 11-27-2016, 07:32 PM.
    Mark L

Comment

Here is one located about 60 miles north of me. I drove up to look it over about a month ago. It's a good driver, the engine starts right up and runs smooth. It came from North Dakota a few years ago, then the present owner had medical problems and can't use a clutch. It's a car you can drive and enjoy while making a few minor improvements. No sign of rust or repairs other than light surface rust on the bottom side. Yes, it has overdrive.

Comment

Chuck Stanford has a 50 LandCruiser with a DG Automatic in Tucson. I haven't asked him if he sold it as Bob Palma was looking for a car for a friend. His friend had someone come and look at it last week or so.

Bob Miles
        Tucson AZ

Comment

I have called a couple of sellers, and I'm not sure what the price spread on these should be. One seller I talked to has had their car for sale for over a year. In my mind, that would mean the car is over priced... What is your opinion? I know there is lots of variables to consider when selling a car, but the seller said they're just trying to get what they spent on it back out of it. It seems a delicate subject to tell someone just because they spent that much doesn't necessarily mean the market will bear that price. So anyway-- what do y'all feel these cars are actually worth, in various conditions?

And thank you for any and all leads!
          1951 Commander Starlight
          1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
          1953 Champion Starlight
          1953 Commander Starliner
          1953 2R5
          1957 Silver Hawk
          1957 3E5 Pick-Up
          1959 Silver Hawk
          1961 Hawk
          1962 Cruiser 4 speed
          1963 Daytona Convertible
          1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
          1965 Cruiser
          1970 Avanti

Comment

The one I looked at and mentioned above I thought is on the high range, but the thing I like about buying any car is not having to deal with rust, so consider rust repair when looking at a car, and even if you can repair the rust for less money than a non rusted car, I prefer a car that was never rusted to start with. I'd want to see the car in person if I was to spend more than about 5K on any car.

Comment

Kenny, please PM me, a friend has just what you need!
              Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
              '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
              '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
                Kenny, please PM me, a friend has just what you need!
                PM has been sent.
                1951 Commander Starlight
                1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                1953 Champion Starlight
                1953 Commander Starliner
                1953 2R5
                1957 Silver Hawk
                1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                1959 Silver Hawk
                1961 Hawk
                1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                1963 Daytona Convertible
                1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                1965 Cruiser
                1970 Avanti

Comment

How much g or the vw

Comment

Originally posted by royvaldez View Post
                    How much g or the vw
                    I'm sorry-- I don't understand. What does this mean?
                    1951 Commander Starlight
                    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                    1953 Champion Starlight
                    1953 Commander Starliner
                    1953 2R5
                    1957 Silver Hawk
                    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                    1959 Silver Hawk
                    1961 Hawk
                    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                    1963 Daytona Convertible
                    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                    1965 Cruiser
                    1970 Avanti

Comment

How much for the 57 VW. Please text me pictures
                      Last edited by royvaldez; 12-01-2016, 08:48 AM.

Comment

There is a '51 in the Spokane craigslist.
                        Rob

Comment

My first Studebaker was a '50 LC, I bought it from the dealer, it had been his demonstrator, in '54. He'd kept it after he sold the dealership. I have no idea on the miles it had. but by '58 it had quit running. I couldn't afford troubleshooting, so it was scrapped. Wish I still had it. I remember once, on a non-internet trip, it got an honest 18 mpg, went 180 miles took 10 gallons to fill it. 3 spd OD. Arguably the poshest car I've owned.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                            My first Studebaker was a '50 LC, I bought it from the dealer, it had been his demonstrator, in '54. He'd kept it after he sold the dealership. I have no idea on the miles it had. but by '58 it had quit running. I couldn't afford troubleshooting, so it was scrapped. Wish I still had it. I remember once, on a non-internet trip, it got an honest 18 mpg, went 180 miles took 10 gallons to fill it. 3 spd OD. Arguably the poshest car I've owned.
                            Yes, they sure are a nice riding and comfortable car.
                            I'm surprised your mileage wasn't even higher, unless it involved city driving.
                            My 1950 Commanders got 28 on the highway, and both have overdrive.

Comment

I'm surprised your mileage wasn't even higher, unless it involved city driving.

Before interstate highways, we drove from Northwest Ohio, through Detroit to Port Huron Michigan. 1955. I couldn't believe it used just over half a tank, 'twas 180 miles exactly, and 10 gallons, exactly. The trip continued across southern Ontario to Niagara Falls, to Schenectady, NY to visit family and back home south of Lake Erie. Quite a road trip. My car, myself and my parents.

Comment

Working...
                              X