1963 Daytona R2 / 4 speed, convertible, non-package car value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Daytona R2 / 4 speed, convertible, non-package car value

I am new to the site, I have the opportunity to buy a 1963 R2 convertible, 4speed car. It does not have the extra package. This is an original one owner car. Seeking to find the real world value of such not to over pay for the car. Any help appreciated, or wild guess. Also trying to determine how many were actually made this way.

All depends on the condition. A complete non running project car 1500 to 2500. A running driver about 10,000 and a show car - who knows? In am sure someone will have production figures and chime in here. I own a 60 Lark V111 convert and production figures were about 5800 and about 3500 for the Lark V1. Quite sure they would be less than 1960 production. If you do buy it, join the Drivers Club as you will find parts easier to find and get to know some great people. And welcome to the forum. Sure would like to see some photos.
    Bob
    Bob
    Welland Ontario
    60 Lark Convertible
    64 Daytona
    sigpic
    "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Condition Condition Condition. I know of several one owner cars that will need a complete restoration so being a one owner car is a relative thing. What does the owner want? Was the car always a California car or did it spend some hard winters elsewhere?

I can respect your wanting to keep this in a private realm. Someone did say though, you cannot pay too much for a Studebaker, just buy it too early. Well there are some people that maybe there grandkids may get the money out they paid.

Get the Serial Number, get the production order, get in touch with Bob Johnstone. He has another post on Jet Thrush news here on the forum and would be an invaluable resource. Here is the link he posted earlier: http://www.studebaker-info.org/JTN/jtn.html

When dealing with a rare car, the more you know and get help the better for you.

Bob Miles
      Tucson AZ

Comment

Welcome to the SDC Forum!

There were 1015 1963 Daytona convertibles built. My guess is about 50 R2/4 spd. Someone else probably has the actual numbers. Rarity does not always equate to value.

As others said, condition is everything (else). "Original one owner car" tells us nothing about condition - physical or mechanical. The car could be anywhere from $1500 to $20K. IF it is a very nice, unrestored, California car, my guesstimate is $10K.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Is this car champagne in color? This may be the car I tried to buy several years ago. It was offered to me for $20,000. When I said "Yes", he rescinded the offer. If its in the same condition I last saw it in, its pretty dang nice. I don't think its a correct restoration, but it looked extremely nice overall.
          sals54

Comment

To answer your production question, Steve, there were 30 1963 convertibles built with R2 engines. 20 of them had 4-speed transmissions.

If you can supply the car's serial number, we can verify if it was built as described. The Serial Number will begin with the digits 63V. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

To get an accurate price, you will need to supply the serial number inside the driver's door between the hinges and the serial number on the motor. On the motor it is on the driver's side, top, toward the front. With that info, you can still keep it a secret and we can provide a ton of details.

Comment

Feel free to post some pictures.
                64 Avanti R1 R5529

Comment

NADA guides states a 1963 Daytona hardtop R2, 4 speed is worth $17,415 in Average condition. A Show quality car is worth $30,914. A convertible would be higher.

Comment

I never belive in nada. something is only worth is what someone is will to pay for..sorry about that ..nada is just a guide..
                    rawise

Comment

Originally posted by daytonadave View Post
                      NADA guides states a 1963 Daytona hardtop R2, 4 speed is worth $17,415 in Average condition. A Show quality car is worth $30,914. A convertible would be higher.
                      About 60 years ago, the owner of a used car lot that I was working in said to me something to the effect of: "you will not see hundred dollar bills falling out of the NADA guide" after I quoted some NADA number that was way off what the current market value was in our area.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Is this the 1963 Daytona convertible with R2 and four speed that was featured on one of the new Jay Leno shows? It was a nice, but not show quality, car. They "gave it" a price/value of $70K. It looked like $15K to me.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I would bet this is Bill Hollmans car He bought it new for his wife June, there both gone now. I'm not sure how much she drove it. The last time I saw Bill drive it was maybe 6/7 years ago maybe more. It may have had a repaint the original color Rose Mist and a nice surviving r2 4 speed car the only thing that could be wrong no driven enough. So whats a nice surviving r2 4sp no rust no wreck rag top worth?

Comment

A rust-free (or nearly rust-free) 1963 Daytona 4-speed convertible is something I would like to find. Any out there for sale?
                            sigpic
                            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

DaytonaR2,

I sent you a Private Message.

Thanks,
                              Matt
                              Matthew Wendt

Comment

Working...
                              X