Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Events For What's Happening

From Richard Poe,

INDIANA, Nashville, May 26th - 27th, 2017 will be the 10th annual Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drags held in Bean Blossom. This is getting more popular each year. All performance and skill levels welcome. Nashville, Indiana, is about 40 miles south of Indianapolis and is a popular vacation destination with entertainment, shopping, camping, and motels close by. Racing will be at the Brown County Dragway Saturday the 27th so bring your car to race, or not, and come to beautiful Brown County to enjoy the day with us. There’s a snack bar at the track, or bring your own picnic lunch. Also, the night before the race, Friday the 26th, we meet at our home at 5:30 p.m. for dinner and desserts. For more information about this event, call Richard Poe at 812-988-2008, or roserichpoe@att.net.

Hi all,
    Just finished my What's Happening for Turning Wheels and noted that I don't have any Speed Events listed for 2017. Usually, I have the Bean Blossom Drags and the Pure Stock Drags listed by now. Anyone who knows the dates, can you please send them to me? There only has to be one Studebaker in it to list it. SueL
    Last edited by SusieQ; 12-13-2016, 11:15 AM.

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
    studenews@outlook.com

The Northwest Chapter has an annual display of Studebakers at River City Speedway in St. Helens, Oregon. As part of that event, we get to drive a couple of laps on the 1/4 mile dirt oval. I tell the Studebaker drivers we are going to do the Malachi Crunch, but they don't believe me. Would that qualify?

Comment

I am not sure that it is a speed event, but I do know that I wrote that one up last year as an event. So, give me the dates and I will insert it. Below is what I had in July 2015 for it and as long as your chapter is there, it qualifies.
      OREGON, 25th, St. Helens, the Northwest Chapter attends River City Speedway for a Studebaker display at 4 p.m. Contact: Jerry Blount, 503-658-6914.

studenews@outlook.com

Comment

Thank you for the mention and I will make sure you have the 2017 date when the Speedway schedule is finalized. By the way, the "Malachi Crunch" is from the "Happy Days" television show where the infamous Malachi Brothers team up against one car in a destruction derby.

Comment

I had forgotten that one. Back in the day, I got to drive our '79 Corvette on the Indianapolis Speedway, that was quite a treat. I also did Michigan and Mosport here in Canada. We used to road race Corvettes.

studenews@outlook.com

Comment

Just received this one from Phil Peters and I believe that this is the one. I think that this is the one you meant and I will have it in the Feb.What's Happening.
            JULY, 2017, OREGON, 29th, St. Helens, the Northwest Chapter attends a Studebaker Display at Rivercity Speedway, contact Jerry Blount, 503-658-6914. Website: sdc-nw.org.

studenews@outlook.com

Comment

This is the likely date but the official 2017 River City Speedway schedule is not yet published, so let's wait a bit on this. I am on the Racing Association's Board of Directors so I will have the schedule as early as possible.

Comment

Okay, my next submission goes in just after Christmas. So not too much of a hurry.

studenews@outlook.com

Comment

I am not sure what the East Coast Timing Association is going to do next year as they have lost the use of the airport in Wilmington, Ohio. I know they are looking for a new venue, but have not heard any results yet. I guess that is why their dates have not been sent to you.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                  X