Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My last race after 23 years at Bonneville and El Mirage Dry Lake

Hi everyone, here is my status on my last race at El Mirage Dry Lake,

First of all I want to thank all the friends who came to see me race on that Saturday Nov. 12th, it was great visit and they got to see my procedure for racing my car at El Mirage Dry Lake, the weather was great, in the 70's and no wind, but what we did not know that when we set the idle mixture on the mechanical fuel injection system we set it at 12.8 ratio on the Wide Band O2 system, but because I use very cold spark plugs they got fouled at idle which on that Saturday would not let us start the engine, later on Saturday we installed new plugs and leaned out the idle mixture to 13.8 and the engine showed 1000 degrees temp at idle on both sides of the engine and it was happy and ran very good with no fouling of plug, so we got in line, but we got half way to the starting line when the race officials stopped the race, it was torn up to bad to race, so they moved the course over to the backup course for Sundays race, so early Sunday morning we got in line and got to the starting line around 10:30 am, I was suited up with race suit, HANS device, helmet, wrist straps, 5 point harness, then I notice the removable steering wheels three main Allen bolts were loose, I told my crew chief, he got some Allen wrenches and tightened them, problem solved, then they pushed me off up to 40 mph, then I took off in 1st to 5,500 rpm, then in 2nd to 6800 rpm with 5 lbs boost, then in 3rd to 6800 rpm with 13 lbs boost, then 4th to 5600 rpm with 15 lbs boost (we wanted 25 lbs boost) and at the finish line at only 153 mph because of low boost tune, but it was a fun ride and good traction, chute worked great, it his hard at -1.2 Gs (5000 lb force) on rear of car, engine water temp was only 180 degrees, so they towed me back to our pit area and got our timing slip, then found out the 3rd round was being called to race, so we packed the chute again and got in line to race again, but now I moved the waste gate controller to full max for more boost and we gave the engine more fuel, we got 4 cars from the starting line and I'm all suited up inside the car to race when I notice some race officials all gathered together talking, then the president of SCTA Bill came to my car and said, "Dave the track is really tore up at the 3/4 mile to the finish line and some cars have almost spun out and even some motorcycles almost went down, so I suggest you think about not racing under these conditions," so I thought about it for a few minutes and told him, "I'm not going to race" so we pushed off the course back to our pit area, and called it a day to head home, You may wonder why I made that decision not to race, Where is why, I was thinking about the safety for me and my car, I was thinking about what my wife Barb would want me to do, I was also thinking about Ted Harbit and his Chicken Hawk car that he would love to have intact for the Studebaker Museum, so considering all that, I did not make that last race of my 23 year career of Land Speed racing at Bonneville or El Mirage. So my plan is not to sell my car but see about putting my car in the Studebaker Museum for the public to be able to see and let them have all my record certificates and trophy's and timing tags for the car history, I hoping to get the car there in May or so if there is any Studebaker/Avanti conferences going on at that time, then while being there, later we can go to Ohio and see our daughter and grandchildren and great-granddaughter in Newark, OH. So after making all my goals, (Bonneville 200 mph Club and 3 records) its time to quit racing at age 77 and still needing another heart operation (my areto pig valve is 13 yeas old) that my heart doctor is keeping an eye on, so I happy with the decision and really look forward to other racers to continue racing at Bonneville and El Mirage, take care everyone and thank you so much for your support and interest these many years, Dave Bloomberg "Avanti Kid Racing"

Originally posted by Dave Bloomberg View Post
    Hi everyone, here is my status on my last race at El Mirage Dry Lake,

First of all I want to thank all the friends who came to see me race on that Saturday Nov. 12th, it was great visit and they got to see my procedure for racing my car at El Mirage Dry Lake, the weather was great, in the 70's and no wind, but what we did not know that when we set the idle mixture on the mechanical fuel injection system we set it at 12.8 ratio on the Wide Band O2 system, but because I use very cold spark plugs they got fouled at idle which on that Saturday would not let us start the engine, later on Saturday we installed new plugs and leaned out the idle mixture to 13.8 and the engine showed 1000 degrees temp at idle on both sides of the engine and it was happy and ran very good with no fouling of plug, so we got in line, but we got half way to the starting line when the race officials stopped the race, it was torn up to bad to race, so they moved the course over to the backup course for Sundays race, so early Sunday morning we got in line and got to the starting line around 10:30 am, I was suited up with race suit, HANS device, helmet, wrist straps, 5 point harness, then I notice the removable steering wheels three main Allen bolts were loose, I told my crew chief, he got some Allen wrenches and tightened them, problem solved, then they pushed me off up to 40 mph, then I took off in 1st to 5,500 rpm, then in 2nd to 6800 rpm with 5 lbs boost, then in 3rd to 6800 rpm with 13 lbs boost, then 4th to 5600 rpm with 15 lbs boost (we wanted 25 lbs boost) and at the finish line at only 153 mph because of low boost tune, but it was a fun ride and good traction, chute worked great, it his hard at -1.2 Gs (5000 lb force) on rear of car, engine water temp was only 180 degrees, so they towed me back to our pit area and got our timing slip, then found out the 3rd round was being called to race, so we packed the chute again and got in line to race again, but now I moved the waste gate controller to full max for more boost and we gave the engine more fuel, we got 4 cars from the starting line and I'm all suited up inside the car to race when I notice some race officials all gathered together talking, then the president of SCTA Bill came to my car and said, "Dave the track is really tore up at the 3/4 mile to the finish line and some cars have almost spun out and even some motorcycles almost went down, so I suggest you think about not racing under these conditions," so I thought about it for a few minutes and told him, "I'm not going to race" so we pushed off the course back to our pit area, and called it a day to head home, You may wonder why I made that decision not to race, Where is why, I was thinking about the safety for me and my car, I was thinking about what my wife Barb would want me to do, I was also thinking about Ted Harbit and his Chicken Hawk car that he would love to have intact for the Studebaker Museum, so considering all that, I did not make that last race of my 23 year career of Land Speed racing at Bonneville or El Mirage. So my plan is not to sell my car but see about putting my car in the Studebaker Museum for the public to be able to see and let them have all my record certificates and trophy's and timing tags for the car history, I hoping to get the car there in May or so if there is any Studebaker/Avanti conferences going on at that time, then while being there, later we can go to Ohio and see our daughter and grandchildren and great-granddaughter in Newark, OH. So after making all my goals, (Bonneville 200 mph Club and 3 records) its time to quit racing at age 77 and still needing another heart operation (my areto pig valve is 13 yeas old) that my heart doctor is keeping an eye on, so I happy with the decision and really look forward to other racers to continue racing at Bonneville and El Mirage, take care everyone and thank you so much for your support and interest these many years, Dave Bloomberg "Avanti Kid Racing"
    Dave thanks for the information on your recent quest for racing your Avanti. I want to personally thank you for the wise decision you made and congratulate you on the accomplishments you and the car have had. I would give anything for the Chicken Hawk to be in one piece like it was before that last fatal run but it's not to be. Also I think you made a wise decision to put the car in the museum where all of us that want can see it and what it has accomplished. Also thinking of your wife was a wise decision also. Some of us are very fortunate to have the understanding spouses we have. They are a rare treasure. Again, thank you for keeping us informed over the years of your activities. Many of us really look forward to what you, Jim Lange, etc. do with your cars on the salt flats.

Ted

Comment

Bittersweet moment, I would bet. It appears to be the correct choice for all the reasons stated. As I've just watched your efforts from afar, thanks for representing the marque well and your contribution to the museum will extent the knowledge well into the future.

Live long and prosper, to quote a old guy! Bob

Comment

[/QUOTE] "I hoping to get the car there in May or so if there is any Studebaker/Avanti conferences going on at that time, "[/QUOTE]

The 2017 SDC International Meet is May 3rd-6th. Would be a perfect time to have it for display.

Comment

I plan on being in South Bend in May and would love to see the car. I remember seeing Ted Harbit's Chicken Hawk there in 2002 I believe and appreciated that opportunity as well.

The intention to place the car in the Studebaker museum is indeed generous and should be well regarded by all...

Comment

Dave,

I've been following The Avanti Kid's progress for a long time and we always enjoyed pitting next to you on the salt. Here's a nice shot I took back in 2002 and I got plenty more over the years!

Comment

Dave,
              It was an honor to meet you and your crew at Bonneville in 2010 during World of Speed that September. Your crew's assistance to my brother Dan with his Bucket List Dream Avanti was a testament to the spirit of the Studebaker racing community. Your decision to bring your racing career to a close demonstrates the same wisdom you brought to that career. Be proud of your accomplishments. Enjoy your family. And maybe write a book. Dang, I'd read it! Here are some photos from World of Speed, 2010.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010567.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1711205Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	1711206Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010637.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1711207Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010546.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1711208
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Congratulations on a wonderful "Avanti career"!
                I hope you can get the car to the Studebaker National Museum in time for the SDC International meet in early May so all of our members can see it.
                Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

What Howard Brown said in Post #8, Dave. All the best in your "retirement." BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Great report Dave. I want to shake you hand in South Bend! We have been "Facebooking" for far too long and I want to meet another one of my heros!

Comment

I have been following your Racing for years and the others have said it well . I remember buying the Surge Tank from you years ago for my fathers Avanti as a spare . I now own the car and my Son will be the next owner . The tank has been restored and still have the box you sent it in . Look forward to seeing you and the car in So Bend . Ed

Comment

Congratulations on a successful career with the Avanti. I hope you make it to South Bend in May. I would like to finally meet you in person.

Jim
                        james r pepper

Comment

Congratulations on a great campaign! Sounds like a good decision ton not run also. I look forward to seeing your Avanti at the museum!
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                          X