Avanti Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Project

My fabricator friend Sean O'Brien is really busy these days. He is building a Porsche 908 replica, restoring a Datsun 510 sedan with engine and suspension upgrades, and now the same guy who owns those two projects has just dragged in a derelict Avanti. The bad news is it was sitting in a wrecking yard with no front suspension, so the bottom side is very dirty. The good news is that it was in the desert, so the rust is only superficial, cleaned up easily and caused no frame or suspension damage. It came with all the parts, including the interior. The engine did not look very good, but Sean pulled the heads and found it had all new valves, pistons, etc, and no internal rust, never been run since assembly. The supercharger is also pretty dirty, but Sean thinks it will be good.

He is using some commonly available Chrysler upper ball joints, Ford lower ball joints, and Mustang spindles and brake kit which the owner had. He has welded in mounts for the ball joints which bolt in, and is using the old Studebaker spindles for reference to get the exact location. When everything is set with the camber he wants, he will make adjustable mounts for the upper A-frames so the castor and camber will be adjustable. The rack is the same unit we used in the 68 Mustang we did recently, can't remember the brand name. He got the rack mounted and now is modifying the oil pan to clear it.

More later as it progresses.

I have included a photo of the 908 replica Sean is building - after exactly SEVEN DAYS of work. This is one guy working by himself. Of course this does not include all the time on the internet studying photos and drawings of the originals. 911 engine and trans.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2592.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1753145Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2594.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1753146Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2595.jpg
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	1753147Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2602.jpg
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1753148Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2611.jpg
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1753149
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 48skyliner; 11-17-2016, 12:12 AM.
    Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
    See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Your friend is very talented,more skills than most here.happy trails with this project

Comment

Looks very nice!
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Very interested, keep posting. Bob

Comment

Perhaps he could create a template for the upper and lower control arms change out to ball joints. I would be interested in a pair of those. It sure would make lowering a car easier with an off the shelf spindle kit from Summitt.
          sals54

Comment

What are the head casting numbers. They appear to have enlarged valves.

Comment

That's great! Keep us updated with progress pictures when you can.

Comment

alpha-omegaclothingco.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, alpha-omegaclothingco.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

This is the easy way!

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                  http://www.alpha-omegaclothingco.com...FRONTENDS.html

This is the easy way!

Robert Kapteyn
                  Robert, But thats the system that has caused more grief than results. Its been argued here several times. I would never install that system on one of my cars.
                  sals54

Comment

Wow, I wish I could find an R2 Avanti with a rebuilt engine and that is pretty much rust free in a scrap yard close to where I live! Thats a great find!

Comment

I will post some photos next week. The car is sitting on its wheels, so it can me moved around. Sean assembled it without the springs and moved the suspension through its travel - he is very satisfied with the camber curve. He says he may go to the Chrysler ball joints for both upper and lower. They are used in many of the race cars and he thinks they are the strongest. They thread into a piece which is readily available and can be welded into the A-frames.

People have asked about the numbers:

Frame tag - 63R 2458

Body tag - 63RQ 1544

Head casting - 911R 1557582 2

I think the Avanti will be put on hold while Sean assembles the Datsun 510, which just came back from the paint shop.
                      Last edited by 48skyliner; 11-18-2016, 02:13 PM.
                      Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                      See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

We would like more pictures of the heads. The combustion chambers look like they have been reworked also.

Comment

My 53K has Chrysler ball joints, upper and lower. With 67-69 Camaro spindles. Adjustable upper a-arms and screw in joints. I won't bore you with the details or pics. It is up on the Racing Stude. site, under Alan's 53K project if you want to check out how I have done it for any ideas.

Comment

Working...
                          X