Engine Vin #535601

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Vin #535601

Hey guys, I was given a vin # for a V8 but I am not sure it is the actual vin #. I cannot decipher it to a year or size. Tell me if this means anything - #535601. I am assuming this is the wrong number on the engine.

Thanks!

HI welcome to the form Allston EP.. that's just the engine casting Number for the v8 engine the engine number you need is just to the right of that number on a flat machine surface ..it will have a lot of dirt or greese you welcome ...raymond
    rawise

Comment

You're looking for a machined pad with letter/letters and numbers stamped into it.
      Front of engine on the right side, facing the engine.
      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	StudeEngineVin.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1711149

I found this

Comment

So what does it tell you?
          The decoding list for V8 Engine Serial Numbers is here:

With that Casting Number, I can tell you it is Pre-Late 1962, BEFORE the Full Flow Oil Filter Engines came out.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I am waiting for seller to give me the correct #. Thanks for the casting # tip. I am hoping for a larger V8.

Comment

The truth be told, it is not that big a deal if it is a 259 or a 289, as there is not ONE single Part anywhere on that engine that is different except the Crankshaft, the Pistons and the Serial Number!
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Forget that engine. Most likely its a 259. You should be able find a full flow 289 with in a days drive.

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
                  Forget that engine. Most likely its a 259. You should be able find a full flow 289 with in a days drive.
                  Why couldn't it be a 289?
                  There were thousands of Presidents and others built during all those Years 1956 to early 1962 with that Casting Number that were 289's.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 11-16-2016, 04:18 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Aren't the 289 crankshafts hard to get?

Comment

I bought a nice used standard size 289 crankshaft from Tom K. In SB for $175. He had others.
                      61 lark cruiser
                      64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Yes the "289" Cranks are more desirable, rarer and harder to find, BUT the Good News is they ARE still out there, you just have to look harder and Pay more than a NOS 259, which is quite plentiful.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Finally got some numbers. I am still confused. Not sure if guy is sending me numbers for 2 different engines.

VCI5849
                          P80727
                          V4I9224

Comment

Yes he IS! THREE of them!

VC15849 is a 1959 Canadian 259

P80727 is a 1962 289

V419224 is a 1959 259

The ONLY real difference between all of these other than the one long Stroke 289, would be if the '62 is Late enough to have a Full Flow Oil Filter on the right rear, lower corner, which would be obvious if seen.

I am sorry I don't have the Serial Number of the first '62 ("P" Code) 289 with F/Flow handy.

So since they all interchange, I do not see the significance of caring what it is.

They all fit any Stude. V8 or 6 Cyl. (with Mods.) Car or Truck, but what is MUCH more important is the CONDITION of any prospective purchase. Does it actually Run? Is it in a Car that can be Run? Or when did it?

Was it setup for a Manual Trans with the Original, centered, dial indicated Clutch Housing?
                            Or an Automatic, with the factory matched and centered Torque Converter Housing?

UPDATE: per my Post #5, IF this P80727 is one of the engines with that Casting Number, the question of Full Flow, or Partial Flow bi-pass type Oil Filter is already answered.
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 12-01-2016, 09:25 PM.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

ok, that is some good feedback. Better to have to buy a 289 crank for a good 259 engine, than lots of parts for a bad 289 engine. I would be replacing a 232.

All these engines are loose and the conditions unknown.

How do I determine what trannys they were set up for? (if that is an easy question)

THANKS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X