Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '59 Lark V8 Heater Core

Hi Guys & Gals,
    I'm requiring a new heater core for my '59 Lark V8 (imagine they don't last longer than 57 years). Any suggestions because a lot of companies have discontinued them? Brassworks looks like a good option, has anyone used them?
    Thanks in advance,
    Bill

Your best option may not be searching the Internet, your Local Radiator Shop should be able to re-core it, it won't be cheap no matter how you go about it.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I just went through this with an Avanti. Stude vendors want 300 + dollars. I found one by looking at core dimensions, and outlets. I found one for 29 bucks, but had to buy a hose that went from 3/4 to 5/8 from the heater valve to the core. When you measure, it is the core size, not the tanks on the ends.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

A radiator shop should be able to recore the heater the same as they would a radiator. I had mine done that way although it was 10 years ago.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Unless you are determined to keep everything original, measure it and find one with the same or workable dimensions to yours.
          "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -B Franklin

Comment

I just had mine recored by a local radiator shop.

$270.

I about choked. Not entirely unexpected, but I couldn't find anything available for less. It works very well. I now have a NEW cooling system for about $1000. Darn thing should run cooler.........
            Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
            1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Some years ago I replaced the leaking HC with a re-core, in "Humphrey"(1960 wagon). It works great, too good in fact, heater control valve wouldn't allow me to shut down the water flow. So in the summer I just keep the right side vent closed, but would much like having it function as designed. SI has a reverse operating valve, but is this the best we can do?

Comment

Bill I have a correct, New "Pull to Open" Replacement Ball Valve here, for 3/4 Inch Hose, as on '59 to '66's.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Since commodity prices are in the tank, this is simply an example of price gouging somewhere along the chain of supply.

I had the Power Hawk radiator recored to a three row for $500 back in late 2007 when copper prices were sky high.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CopperPrice.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	1711188

I rest my case...

Comment

Thanks guys! I wasn't kept in the loop but my rad guy took it onto himself and built a new core for me. He got a block of core and built it from there. Hey at $ 150.00 CDN I'm happy as hell.
                    Hope everyone else is as successful. Thanks for your suggestions.
                    Cheers, Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X