• Show
Clear All

• 4 Speed Starter

Anyone have one for sale?
    Attached Files
    Jack White
    Charlotte,NC
    North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

This the one you need? I don't know a fair price. Will have to trust you to tell me.
    It worked fine.
    Attached Files

Comment

That one appears to be a Delco, used before most of the 4 Speeds came out, that were Prestolite/Autolite.

Could that be from a '61 4 Speed?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        That one appears to be a Delco, used before most of the 4 Speeds came out, that were Prestolite/Autolite.

Could that be from a '61 4 Speed?
        Is the measurement 2 1/8 like in the picture?
        Jack White
        Charlotte,NC

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
          This the one you need? I don't know a fair price. Will have to trust you to tell me.
          It worked fine.
          Is the measurement 2 1/8 like in the picture?
          Jack White
          Charlotte,NC

Comment

Wasn't sure exactly what you were looking for.

This is from an earlier truck with a four speed.
            49 2R16A

Appears to be 2.25" measured as above.
            Last edited by Lynn; 11-16-2016, 06:00 AM.

Comment

The one I need is out of a 63 Lark.........now in my 53
              Jack White
              Charlotte,NC

Comment

It shouldn't matter whether it's a 4 speed or 3 speed starter. If you have a '63 set-up in the vehicle it should be a Prestolite 7025. The automatics used a 7026. Really the only difference externally is the housing going into the bellhousing which could be swapped.
                Rob in PA.

Comment

Do you have a Prestolite starter now that you can swap the nose piece onto a 3 speed starter or is the starter missing?
                  Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I've been trying to find the right starter, or starter "nose", for an Avanti. I am converting to a 5 speed from A/t. I am at a loss to understand why there are any differences in any manual transmission starters. The flywheel ring is in the same place, the block to gear distance is exactly the same, the gear is the same, the centering of the starter bolts to motor shaft is the same. The only difference I can think of would be the "depression" in one bell housing verses another where the "nose" has to clear the bell housing to fit. The starter doesn't care if it's a 3,4,5 or 6 speed bolted to the bell housing. Other than the motors torque to spin I can't see why there would be any difference. The bendix drive has to travel the same distance to clear or engage the teeth completely to be and work right. All the different noses just move the whole motor in or out from the face of the bell housing to accommodate the motors shaft length. Why so many problems, using the "wrong" one??

Comment

Please post a part number of the part you need.
                      Most parts vendors inventory their parts by number.
                      Giving just a description only gets answers from people that are working on that same problem
                      Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I bought a 259 minus the transmission, that was a 4 speed and replaced it with a 3 speed with overdrive and the starter was the same. The 3 speed or 4 speed had no effect on the starter.

Comment

I have a starter nose that's 2 1/8 long from a 4 speed parts car. Mice made a huge nest/bathroom inside the bell housing so the starter drive is rusty. I never tried to take it a part but I'll try if you want the nose piece.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                            I bought a 259 minus the transmission, that was a 4 speed and replaced it with a 3 speed with overdrive and the starter was the same. The 3 speed or 4 speed had no effect on the starter.
                            Please do not confuse people.

This website is for sale! raylinrestoration.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, raylinrestoration.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I don't get the confision
                              There is only one part number - 1550502 for all 62, 63, and 64 V8 with manual transmission. Perhaps we are trying to mix other years?? Avantis do have different part numbers because they have an additional field coil for the higher compression
                              78 Avanti RQB 2792
                              64 Avanti R1 R5408
                              63 Avanti R1 R4551
                              63 Avanti R1 R2281
                              62 GT Hawk V15949
                              56 GH 6032504
                              56 GH 6032588
                              55 Speedster 7160047
                              55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Working...
                              X